Rattling noise on startup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludegrl

I was wondering if anyone can help me? When I start up my 1999 prelude it makes a rattling sound. When I apply gas the rattle goes away but the minute I release the sound comes back. It almost sounds like the exhaust manifold is loose and rattling, but then why would it go away when I accelerate. I am totally new to the car world and want to do my own repairs? Any help/advice/similar situations would be helpful :D

thanks
chandra

Im thinking it's a heatshield. Those are located under the car, above the exhaust system, along with on the exhaust manifold and on the catylitic converter. I hope you find your noise. Good Luck

ya its prob a heat shield of some sort, it def sounds like an exhaust problem. jack the car up and get under neath it while its running(use jackstands please) and see where the noise is comng from

more than likely something a tad loose, look at the heatshields first

Just hazarding a guess... I'll bet your exhaust manifold is hitting up against a crossmember or something in your engine bay. If not, it's definitely something metal that's attached directly to your engine. The reason the sound probably goes away when you accelerate is because the engine rotates in the engine bay when you hit the gas- and the rotation is probably just enough to move the two rattling parts apart. When you get off the gas, the engine goes back to its resting position, and the two parts are in contact again- causing your rattle.

Just a guess... it could be your engine mounts too.

Back