Ready for something you've never seen?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by nfn15037@Mar 18 2004, 08:27 PM
Cool crawler! Is it propane powered? Those look like fork lift propane tanks on the back there.

Yes, I run my 350 on propane because a carb will spill fuel out of the float bowl at the weird angles. If I had a cheap EFI motor I would run that, but the LPG works just as good for a raction of the cost on a carbed motor. My brother has a Toyota truck with a 22R in it that we converted over. His uses standard grill tanks.

J. J.

that's bad ass. I want to run on standard grill tanks.

pull up to the gas station, and go to one of those grill tank swap places, say fill'er up, and swap tanks :D

i would advise you stick to something other than honda...

first is the lack of torque as was stated above, and secondly, the cost of honda motors have gone out of control since the import scene has increased...

i would stick with a motor than is not a main stream and you should be able to get better prices, especially if these will be disposable motors...
cheapest i know for an H22 motor alone is a grand, and that will add up, especially if you will be beating on it like i think you will to get the performace needed for rock crawling...

have you looked into the V6's out of the accord?
not sure on their weight but i guess they have decent perfroamce numbers...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 19 2004, 09:41 AM
i would advise you stick to something other than honda...

first is the lack of torque as was stated above, and secondly, the cost of honda motors have gone out of control since the import scene has increased...

i would stick with a motor than is not a main stream and you should be able to get better prices, especially if these will be disposable motors...
cheapest i know for an H22 motor alone is a grand, and that will add up, especially if you will be beating on it like i think you will to get the performace needed for rock crawling...

have you looked into the V6's out of the accord?
not sure on their weight but i guess they have decent perfroamce numbers...

Now I'm 99.9% sure that I am just going to stick with the 350. You know though, I was honestly expecting to get laughed at a lot when I first posted this. I figured ya'll might be some hard-core street guys or something and not welcome someone from outside. But I have to say ya'll have been very nice and even completely objective with the advice. Most advocates would have wanted me to go with the Honda motor no matter what, but ya'll were just honest about it. So thank you!

J. J.

Well, you're not going to believe this, but this idea is back and in full-swing again!

Just as a point of reference, I did end up building the buggy that I was speaking of above, just used the healthy 350 SBC that I had. Here's a pic:

DSC_0289%20(Medium).JPG

I've been having a blast for over a year beating the crap out of this buggy which I call Thanatos and its been so much fun that I'm really kind of glad I ended up going with the V8. But now my brother, who is a proponent of the light-weight 4-cylinder theory, is wanting me to build him a new buggy.

Currently he is running an all-Toyota truck drivetrain with a 22R, 4-speed manual, and double t-cases. But with this buggy he is wanting to be way lighter, way lower, and way faster. I suggested the Honda transaxle idea to him and he is 100% committed to doing it now. We are currently looking for a donor wrecked Accord that we can take the auto transaxle and engine, amongst other components out of, and have a decent overall package to start with. Since we plan to use the instrument cluster, CPU, wiring harness, engine, transaxle, cv shafts, trans shifter, and pedals out fo the donor vehicle, we figure the best way is to just find a wrecked one.

What I've found out so far is that, essentially, Civics and Accords had two different classes of engines/transaxles. The accords are bigger and heavier with more power ... for the most part. A huge concern to me is that the splined cv shaft that goes into the transaxle carrier has to be strong enough to withstand the shock loads that will be applied to it while driving through rocks. I've personally seen a Civic transaxle and those cv shafts are tiny. I'm told that Accords are way bigger but haven't seen any in person.

Does anyone have a dia. for that section of the cv shafts in an Accord?

Also does anyone have any reccomendations on what to look for in terms of complete donor vehicles? And where is best tof idn them? I'm thkning Verastar at this point but am open to other options.

And just to let ya'll know, since I've discussed this here, probably 10 different versions of the same ttheiry have been built and successfully wheeled. In fact, there are about 2 or 3 in professional competition right now.

Again, thanks for any help.

J. J.

PS: Totally unrelated, but I forgot my old password to my original patooyee screen name and tried to be sent a reminder, but the email address that I used way back then is no longer in existence, so I can not receive my reminder email. I emailed the admin here but have not received any response in about 2 weeks. If anyone can help me get my old screen name back I would appreciate it.

Oh, and another thing, I think last time around the need to be disposable was overemphasized. The motor can not be so rare that it will be impossible to replace, but we dont' really burn motors out that often. So remove that from the requirements list.

J. J.

Oh, and just to give you an idea, I don't plan to use a transfer case in this buggy. I plan to weld the transaxle dif and machine the cv balls and weld some driveshaft flanges onto them which will attach to driveshafts that go to the front and rear axles.

J. J.

Last edited:
Does anyone make a transaxle spool that uses larger than factory splined shafts for these things?

J. J.

haha a turbo desal truck makes 42 psi stock so your probally makin around 50 to 60 psi. better ingectors and you could go faster.

haha a turbo desal truck makes 42 psi stock so your probally makin around 50 to 60 psi. better ingectors and you could go faster.

Think you got the wrong thread there there bud! :)

J. J.

Last edited:
I've wheeled with thos ebefore on the trails and, IMO, they take a great concenpt and completely ruin it. They sit a good 12" higher than they need to.

J. J.

Yea, i think the worst part about them is the lack of a belly pan, and the links look kind of weak too. but i do like the 9" axels and the honda motor.

F22B1 or F22B2. Maybe H23/F23. F22B1 is the VTEC engine from the 94-97 accord (found in the EX), the F22B2 is in the other trim levels, and is non-vtec. Those engines are common as hell, as is the case with most Honda SOHC engines, so they are easy to find, with engine/trans running in the $400-700 range. My friend and I were thinking about putting one into his '94 Wrangler (one of which would be just sitting in my garage after I do my swap), giving him EFI and an infinitely better-engineered and more reliable engine than the current AMC-sourced 4 cylinder. The additional 40hp and boost potential wouldn't hurt either. Plus carburators suck.

And to the person talking about putting honda car engines into boats, I have though about doing this when my family repowers our 32-foot cruiser (current power: twin 318 Chryslers, 225hp ea, and about 400 or 500 pounds each). Twin Honda F22's would rock, and 6800rpm at full throttle would be badass. The weight reduction and fuel-economy gains would be even better.

And to those who say it can't be done, the Honda 90hp VTEC outboard is a Honda Fit motor (I worked at a Honda Marine dealership over the summer)

With proper gearing, you could have a d16 pushing a million gagillion ft-lbs of torque.

These guys are kicking along at a quarter of a mph. Rev an h22 to 8-9k geared down to a quarter mile an hour, and you'd have enough torque to crawl up cliff.

But you'd be breaking things alot.. then again, they're used to breaking shit. I'd suggest, if you've got the $$, to grab a S2000 engine/trans. More power, more torque, Higher reving, and rear wheel drive setup from the get-go. no locking one side and hoping that lil axle holds up the the abuse of a rock crawler.

Well my brother has decided to hold off on his new bugy for a while until he's better financially set. However, my buddy decided to build a mini-buggy for his daughter for Christmas using a Civic drive train. Here are some pics of it:

P1010169.jpg

P1010171-1.jpg

DSC_0081%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_0082%20(Medium).JPG

DSC_0084%20(Medium).JPG

He hasn't locked the diffs yet because he wants her to learn how to wheel without them to begin with. (She's 7 years old.) It has Samurai axles and 31" Super Swamper Boggers, 1-link front and rear. :)

J. J.

^^Awesome lil buggy.

Hope his 7 year old is somewhat responsible. Lil bastard is probably capable of 120+mph.

Back