1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

real quick before i start putting my motor back together. honing.

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by TurboMirage, Feb 10, 2008.

1. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

so the spare block came from a running/driving mirage with absolutely no oil or coolant leaks, perfect compression, and all the internals were mint. the cylinders are in great shape and you can see the existing cross thatch. 100K miles or so on it. amazing shape.

i have new forged pistons/rings on OEM rods, all new matched bottom end bearings too. all the bearings looked awesome with barely any visible wear at all.

knowing what i do, my first instinct is to hone it, but i figured i would ask. the cylinders are within spec according to my dial gauge.

i can provide pictures if needed ;)

2. neonmike

neonmike Senior Member VIP

hone it your gonna hate your self if ya have to take it all back apart again. trust me i know

3. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

If theres no apparent deep scoring, all you need to do is to use a soft ball hone and lots of oil to remove any rust, and get some good cross-hatching going. Make sure that after you get it honed, you keep the bores coated in oil until you assemble everything.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted