1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear bumper help needed

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by w2rbass, Nov 2, 2003.

1. w2rbass

w2rbass Member

hey guys.... my car was in an accident before i bought it and now i have to fix it and i dont really feel like paying someone to do it.... ill take some pictures of it and post em up as soon as i can, if i remember, but anyways.... im worried right now only about the rear bumper..... how hard is it to install the rear bumper reinforcement on a 94 civ hb... i can get one for like 40 bucks but i forgot to look how it is all hooked up when i had the bumper off... is it welded or just bolted on? thanks to anyone who can help

2. swanny

swanny Senior Member

i think that its only 2 vertical bolts on either side of the rails. im pretty damn sure its not welded. and if your impact bar is that fucked up you might have some frame damage :(

3. w2rbass

w2rbass Member

yeah i was guessing it just bolted on... from those two little arms that stick out of it.... but ya never know, im not much of a body know-it-all.... and yeah, my frame, from what i can see appears to still be straight... the reinforcement was bent, so i decided to hit it with a sledgehammer a few times and straighten it back up, but it didnt work so im just gonna buy a new one.... my bumper isnt extremely messed up either... but theres gaps between it and the rest of the body/taillights.. and it leans downward a little bit, so theres a large gap near the taillights and it overhangs the side panel like 1/8 of an inch at most

4. swanny

swanny Senior Member

whenever you have odd gap widths & heights on fixed panels on unibody cars it means there is frame damage. take a look at the underside of the car and look at the rails and look for buldges, cracks in the paint or where the welds may have separated. you might have some problems mounting the bumper beam and getting your door\ hatch gaps nice and even. you might have to get the frame pulled if you want it done right :(

5. w2rbass

w2rbass Member

:angry: wow that sucks, damn, ill have to check that out... thanks a lot for the help man

6. brntorangehatch

brntorangehatch Member

the rear bumper support is just a total of 4 bolts... no welds... but as stated above you might consider getting the frame checked out

7. jiahanhao

jiahanhao Senior Member

my friend pulled his frame with some chains attached to his dad's sequoia

8. w2rbass

w2rbass Member

i havent checked the frame yet, i need to put a heater in my garage and find some spare time... but how much do u think it would cost to pull/fix the frame? any suggestions on anything would be greatly appreciated.. thanks guys would it be easier/cheaper to just sell my car and buy a new one?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted