rear drum-to-disc conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slacky95civic

for a rear drum-to-disc conversion on my 95 civic ex coupe, i need to know what parts i need and from what makes and models i can get them from. i would appreciate all and any info i can get. :worthy: thanx. :worthy:

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Oct 6 2004, 02:50 PM
i thought ex's came stock with rear disks?
[post=399137]Quoted post[/post]​

The only 5th gen chassis to get rear discs were the Si hatch, the del Sol Si and del Sol VTEC.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Oct 6 2004, 08:18 PM-->
kylemarhx
@Oct 6 2004, 02:50 PM

The only 5th gen chassis to get rear discs were the Si hatch, the del Sol Si and del Sol VTEC.
[post=399376]Quoted post[/post]​

you're not limited to the 5th gen chassis, though. Rear trailing arms can come from 4th gen and 6th gen civics, 2nd and 3rd gen integras, and all del sols. in addition to the trailing arms with disc hubs, rotors, and calipers, you need the discs-specific brake hoses and e-brake cables. Get e-brake cables of appropriate size (in your case, probably from a 4dr integra or 99-00 civic si).
Optional (recommended) components are the disc (4040) proportioning valve, and a larger (15/16") master cylinder.

are the intergras brake system any better for my conversion or the civic si? Im just trying to gather all the information before i get going on this project. Im lookin to pick up the parts prolly within the week. So any tips, web sites, experiences would help me out a ton. I know i need a proportioning valve, brake lines, and the e-brake line, but i didnt know about the master cylinder.
thanks

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Oct 6 2004, 11:18 PM-->
kylemarhx
@Oct 6 2004, 02:50 PM

[post=399376]Quoted post[/post]​

No. The LX and EX sedans for two of those years had rear discs that came with the ABS option.

Originally posted by slacky95civic@Oct 7 2004, 12:01 PM
are the intergras brake system any better for my conversion or the civic si? Im just trying to gather all the information before i get going on this project. Im lookin to pick up the parts prolly within the week. So any tips, web sites, experiences would help me out a ton. I know i need a proportioning valve, brake lines, and the e-brake line, but i didnt know about the master cylinder.
thanks
[post=399543]Quoted post[/post]​

They're all the same in the back, as long as they had discs from the factory. Just make sure you get the proper length e-brake cables- they vary from chassis to chassis. You don't absolutely need the master cylinder, but it does definitely help braking performance.

For master cylinder sizes and part #s check here:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=928201

For proportioning valve sizes (you want 40/40 imo) and part #s check here:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=931185

Imo, it would proabably be easiest for you if you were to get a complete rear disk swap including ebrake cables from a 94+ 2 door integra or 92+ 2 door civic, I swapped rear disks onto my sisters 4 door lx sedan and the 4 door integra cables fit perfectly

The bigger the master cylinder, the firmer the brake pedal, check your diameter and then decide if you want to upgrade, I believe from the factory you have a 7/8ths so see what you can find and work from there, as far as I know, any civic mc and prop valve bolts up to any other civic just fine.

Have fun

edit: I misread the first post and thought he had a sedan, changed cable lengthes

I just purchased a del sol with the rear disc brakes for the swap. I just found out that it does not have abs and my civic does. Will this matter? The abs on my civic does not work though so will i still be able to use these parts off of the del sol i purchased.
----also, selling parts off the del sol.......have just about the whole car minus the passenger side door, and panels.

well i have a 95 coupe.. i did the swop on my carnot bad to do it.. after you do the swop make shure you change the master cylinder. it will go out ofer doing the swop. you can go with 92 or 93 si one they do not have abs on the car that what i did and it works fine or go with the gsr boster and master cyl :ph34r:

Originally posted by civicext@Oct 21 2004, 11:49 AM
well i have a 95 coupe.. i did the swop on my carnot bad to do it.. after you do the swop make shure you change the master cylinder. it will go out ofer doing the swop. you can go with 92 or 93 si one they do not have abs on the car that what i did and it works fine or go with the gsr boster and master cyl :ph34r:
[post=405627]Quoted post[/post]​

Swap, not swop.

Back