Rear Hatch H20 Leak

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
has anyone else had this problem, I finally found the source of the leak, it's not thru a gasket or anything like that.
The water is coming in were the shock that holds the hatch open gets screwed into the frame of the hatch.
Specifically the location closets to the roof, not the one near the bumper when the hatch is closed.

hope that makes sence.

It might just be a fluke thing as it has basically been raining every god damn day here in CT. I now know how people in Seattle feel about shitty wheather.

any ideas as how to prevent this from happening in the future ?

thanks in advance guys

yea, thats a common problem with crx's. there is a long post about it in the FAQ at the crx performance board. they suggest welding that crack shut. maybe try some JB weld.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Jun 23 2003, 04:40 PM
yea, thats a common problem with crx's. there is a long post about it in the FAQ at the crx performance board. they suggest welding that crack shut. maybe try some JB weld.

Yup. That's what I've read too, and it makes sense. The filler used in the welds at the factory deteriorates over time, and they lose enough shape to cause water to leak. Refill those spots and you're good to go.

I don't have the actual struts in mine(weight reduction to the max), I just put little plastic caps over the wholes with a little plastic filler.

phear my photochop skillz :D
s3ef77e8939417.jpg

maybe that will help, becasue it doesn't loo to me like any seems are rotting and the gasket looks to be in top notch shape. also keep in mind this car was garaged all of it's life except the past two years and only has 60K on the odometer.

ok I woke up this morning to frost on the inside of my windows, so this little leak when it rains is coming back to haunt me.

on the hatch of my crx , when the shock assmbly meets the hatch water comes pooring in when I slow down or back up, when the cars parked and sitting still it's fine. anyone have any ideas ?? I've looked at the gasket and it looks to be in tack, there doesn't seem to be anything blocking the water drain channels. I really have no clue how the water is gettin in. I'm pretty sure the rear hatch glass is sealed fine. So if anyone has experienced this problem before give me some ideas where to look, mmmk thanks.

I am having the same problem. I cleaned the drain tubes out, there was a lot of shit in them. It helped somewhat but I still get that leak.

I had the same problem on my CRX...

I read somewhere on a CRX board that the welds where the struts mount are filled in with some putty that breaks down over time and eventually lets water in. Supposedly, you just have to go back over the areas where your struts are and make sure they're filled in and even where the body meets the gasket.

It's a long shot, but give it a try.

So I can just unscrew the strut and add sqeaze some silicone goop in the thread and near the weld and put er all back together.

Well I found the leak, it's at the hinge for the hatch
s3fe3960e35b70.jpg

It's leaking from the back side.

s3fe3964929854.jpg

god danm, i think ive got the same thing happening. How does one go about remedying this problem?

Back