1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear main seal leak

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 96gsr, Mar 1, 2008.

1. 96gsr

96gsr New Member

Hi,

I have a 96 GSR that just got diagnosed with a leaky oil pan as well as a leaky rear main seal. I have three questions:

1. How is a rear main seal leak diagnosed, is it visible without removing anything?

2. Is it possible that there is only one leak, either the oil pan or seal, and the mechanic is making a hasty (and potentially profitable) diagnosis?

3. I found an article suggesting that a cam seal leak is often misdiagnosed as a rear main seal leak. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

2. madvtec_2008

madvtec_2008 VTEC YO!

is the leak on the tranny side? and if yeah...there shoul be a plate that isn't too hard to take off that is located on the bottom of the tranny. take it off and if you cant look up underneath you should take your finger and rub above the oil pan to see if it is your rear main

3. Justin66

Justin66 The Hondaswap Canadian

I just had a thread on mine leaking, it does require you to drop the tranny and/or engine to replace it so ya it will cost a pretty penny. If it doesnt leak alot dont worry too much about it.

4. madvtec_2008

madvtec_2008 VTEC YO!

if it is the rear main seal you have to drop the tranny. you dont necessarily have to drop the whole engine....just the tranny. take off the clutch and flywheel which will expose the rear main seal

5. 96gsr

96gsr New Member

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Another question: the car has 120k miles on it, so if I go ahead with replacing the main seal does it make sense to go ahead with replacing the clutch as well?

How much longer might the clutch last? I don't do much racing, but do have a tendency to weave in and out of the LA traffic...

6. fixngo

fixngo New Member

if ya do drop the tranny to change that seal, change the seal on the tranny side too

7. madvtec_2008

madvtec_2008 VTEC YO!

i think the safe bet would be to replace the clutch since you would have the transmission off and everything...and check the flywheel to see if you need it machined down

8. formby

formby learning in progress

its costly for sure.

i'm about to start a thread about my leaks. but my oil pump is leaking along with the main seal.
    which i just replaced and payed $650.00

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted