Rear main seal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Justin66

The Hondaswap Canadian
I was getting an oil change at honda in november (before i put my car away for winter) and i was underneath it with checking out things for myself, all is good and generally rust free like i hoped except for a cracked tie rod and a little oil leak. He told it was the rear main seal. He told me i didn't really need to worry about it unless i was losing alot of oil. Well I'm really not losing anything noticeable at all.

I was reading up on how you would go about replacing it. Do you really have to yank out the whole engine? Or couldn't you just drop the tranny? Is it serious if it goes?

I don't really have the know how or equipment to do something this big myself and Honda is the the only place i trust.

Well i figure honda would be more expensive to get it done at, but either way ill be paying a pretty penny.

If the mechanic told me they had to take out the engine should i tell them no, the tranny would be better?

Should i really even be worrying about this? I had an old 92 daytona and it leaked everywhere, i just cant stand oil leaks anymore because of it.

K ill leave it for now, unless it gets bad. Thanks for the input.

Dont worry i do check my oil all the time, kind of an obsession. I do race around alot tho lol, Nothing generally past third gear tho (i usually win).

However i am running 5w20 in my car and am going to switch to 5w30, could that slow the leak?

Besides the laws here have gotten stricter. You get caught going 50km/h over and its a roadside suspension and impoundment of your car. Same rules pretty well apply for racing too, so i am gonna keep it down a bit.

Dont worry i do check my oil all the time, kind of an obsession. I do race around alot tho lol, Nothing generally past third gear tho (i usually win).

I was talking about real racing on a track, not screwing around on a public road.

However i am running 5w20 in my car and am going to switch to 5w30, could that slow the leak?

Stick with the recommended oil for your motor. You dont want to risk harming your vehicle for no reason.

Well we do have a few tracks around that ive thought about racing at, but not as my daily driver.

Back