Reason # 44871.2 : Why Ohio Sucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

[SIZE=+1]Teenagers to serve time - after football[/SIZE]
The Columbus Dispatch ^ | August 16, 2006 | Holly Zachariah

Posted on 08/16/2006 10:04:23 AM PDT by flutters

Kenton athletes caused wreck that seriously injured 2 others; judge delays 60-day sentences
KENTON, Ohio — Two teenagers who pulled a stunt last winter that left a man physically disabled and his friend brain-damaged will each spend 60 days in juvenile detention, but not before they finish the upcoming high-school football season.
Judge Gary F. McKinley told a standing-room-only crowd in his courtroom yesterday that he knows his decision to allow standout Kenton High School athletes Dailyn Campbell, 16, and Jesse Howard, 17, to play sports before serving their sentences will be unpopular.
Five deputies were on hand during the sentencing hearing in Hardin County Common Pleas Court, and McKinley told the emotional crowd that he would hold anyone who had an outburst in contempt.
"I’m cutting you somewhat of a break here, and the court will get criticized for this," McKinley told Campbell.
The retired Union County juvenile court judge assigned to hear the cases said he had waffled when trying to decide whether to delay any sentence until after football season.
"I shouldn’t even be doing this," he told Campbell, a junior quarterback for the Kenton Wildcats, who won state titles in 2001 and 2002.
At those words, more than a dozen relatives of the two who were injured in the prank began to sob. Campbell’s mother and stepfather, sitting behind the victims’ families, looked relieved.
Campbell and Howard each pleaded no contest last month to two charges of vehicular vandalism. They both also pleaded to juvenile-delinquency counts of petty theft and possession of criminal tools. Prosecutors say Campbell and Howard and three others who are awaiting trial stole a decoy deer last November, painted it with obscenities and then placed it in the middle of a darkened rural road to see what would happen when drivers approached.
Robert Roby Jr., who was 18 at the time, swerved to miss the deer. His car rolled and crashed as Campbell and the other boys watched.
Both victims’ families pleaded with the judge to make an example of Campbell and Howard.
"None of these guys will ever know what our sons have gone through," Roby’s mother, Mary, wrote to the court. "They don’t think they did anything wrong. If they get nothing for what they’ve done, they’ll do something worse later. They need more than a slap on the wrist."
Roby nearly lost his right leg in the crash, and is facing his 11th surgery in the next few weeks, his mother said yesterday.
Robert Roby’s passenger, 17-year-old Dustin Zachariah, was on life support for several days and had broken bones, two collapsed lungs and brain damage. He now has the cognitive ability of a sixth-grader, his mother, Kathy Piper, said.
In addition to the 60-day sentence, which will begin at the Logan County Juvenile Detention Center after football season, Campbell and Howard are on house arrest and will be for six months after detention; must pay fines and restitution; must write a 500-word essay on "Why I should think before I act"; and must complete 1,500 and 500 hours of community service, respectively.
McKinley suspended two, one-year terms of commitment to the Ohio Department of Youth Services for both boys, so if they violate their probation those sentences could be invoked.
Campbell was sentenced first. The victims’ families left the courtroom before Howard was sentenced.
"They said they would not attend this hearing as their own way of showing protest to the previous ruling," Prosecutor Brad Bailey told McKinley. Piper had the victims’ advocate read a statement, saying that the judge’s ruling told her "that my son now is not only being pushed aside, but he’s been forgotten."
During their hearings, Campbell and Howard apologized. Campbell, who had two previous juvenile court convictions, showed no emotion and looked only at the judge. During Campbell’s apology, McKinley admonished him for mumbling.
Howard looked into the face of the victims’ advocate as she read the families’ statements. He wiped tears from his cheeks as he said he was sorry. "I think every day that I hurt someone, and that hurts me inside," Howard said.

What a backwards, stupid ass state. This is California level of stupidity.

From yours truly: The shittiest state in the US. If God gave the earth an enema, he would put the tube in Columbus Ohio.

Haiti isn't a state, unless you're talking about Lousiana.

Well, clearly what we have here is a case of a harmless prank gone horribly wrong. Its not like the kids thought "Hey, lets put this deer in the road and make someone crash and mame them for the rest of their lives!!" They wrote "obscenities" on it just to make people think WTF?? Just for a joke..

The families of the victims are totally fucked up trying to make the judge make an example out of the two and pressuring him into a conviction.. That itself is a miscarriage of justice. They should have gotten a firm slap on the wrist and let go. The judge knows this, but was swayed anyway. High school football is a large part of growing up and he also knows this. It teaches dicipline, teamwork, hard work, structure.. Much more than community service or Juvinile Detention would. This is why the judge let them play.

The judge is messed up for allowing the public to sway his decision. The kids were wrong to put the deer in the road, but the driver of the car is equally dumb for crashing so bad after seeing a stationary object in the road. I'd be willing to bet he was driving at a rediculous speed.

So, yeah, I would agree with the first statement. Ohio sucks.

Poor kids.

ohio definately sucks.

but a deer? who the fuck moves a dead deer carcass back into the middle of the road?

stole a decoy deer last November

styrofoam deer FTW!!!
very tragic what happened to the kids...
i would imagine they can be held liable, just the same as kids that steal a stop sign can be held liable if it causes a fatal accident...
on one hand the driver should not have lost control, but thats why you don't put things in the road... inexperienced drivers are prone to overreaction and the results can be tragic...
at least the kid with the 6th grade mental capacity can sue the drivers car insurance, and hopefully he can have a decent 6th grade life...

styrofoam deer FTW!!!

at least the kid with the 6th grade mental capacity can sue the drivers car insurance, and hopefully he can have a decent 6th grade life...

Lots of Transformers !

Yeah, the issue here is that they caused a purposely malevalent stunt. The intent was not to specifically injure someone, but the intent was clearly to cause a traffic event of catastrophic nature.

they should be strung from a tree.

As far as Football teaching anything, it clearly does not. I didn't play football and I've always been of the mindset that if you put a fake animal in the road, cars will swerve to avoid it. Also, swerving leads to incidents and loss of control. Ergo, Football has absolutely no warrant here. These are Delinquents and according to that article, always have been (With 3 priors).

High school sports like the debate club, chess club, even peer tutoring teaches lessons about responsibility, hard work and good values. Football teaches how to hold down an underaged girl and laugh while your cronies PIDB.

Fuck em, I hope they die of cervical cancer.

Lots of Transformers !
i was gonna say candy and bewbie magazines, but transformers rock too...

this case should have been moved out of the town and/or county...
i'm guessing this judge is a HUGE football fan...

thats some gay ass shit...but you dont have to be a huge football fan to understand the sentence. when mesquite won state, EVERYONE was a football fan. it happends when you have a state winning team. i dont care if your kids go to a different school. I didnt go to mesquite, but i sure as hell went to every game that season. I dont even like football.

But getting yourself in trouble and causing trouble for other people are two different things. The whole situation is stupid and shows that judges have way too much power to impose their personal feelings on the legal process. Ohio does suck, but it's probably not limited to this state.

kinda like allowing illegal immigrants to sue a company for wrongful termination even though their employment in the first place was illegal
ph34r.gif

But getting yourself in trouble and causing trouble for other people are two different things. The whole situation is stupid and shows that judges have way too much power to impose their personal feelings on the legal process. Ohio does suck, but it's probably not limited to this state.

Yeah the whole situation is stupid. The judge was right though, there is going to be a lot of criticism. I think they should sit there asses in juvenile and think about both what they did to another person and what they just did to their team.

Here is my rant from the "I hate Ohio" blog, September, 2005.:

If god were to give the earth an Anema, he would put the tube in Ohio.
I hate that fucking state with a passion, and I hate everyone in it. I have yet to meet an Ohioan that is worth the air it breathes. I got robbed by an Ohio toll booth worker in 2003, and I haven't gotten over it, nor the police response. Ohio should be a nuclear testing range. Columbus is the hemorroid on the asshole of society. It's the closest the US comes to Fallujah. Bombed out buildings and chop-shops are it's local economy. They grow do-rags and rape as a bumper crop. Fascinating Ohio Fact: Did you know that Ohio is the leeching field for Pennsylvania's septic tank ? I'm bookmarking this to see what you Ohioan animals have to say about this, and how you defend your worthless, corrupt state. I only wish you got hurricanes. Nooch.
Posted by: Celerity at September 27, 2005 01:17 AM

I have been confronted on the streets of Ohio, I have been robbed at the toll booths and I've been followed around / harassed / told to leave / threatened by Ohio cops more than 4 times. That place is all that I have observed above.

Back