Reason #8930214 cali......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
Since so many members here are gun lovers like myself, you may be interested to know that San Francisco Ca. is asking its voters to decide on a near total ban on handguns. It will go into effect in Jan.'06 and actually require residents to "relinqish their handguns".

Of all the dumbass things the City does through the political process, this one takes the cake. Of course a Sacto gun lobby is attacking the potential gun-grab, but the alarming thing to me is that it will be "voter approved". We all know how flawed that process is.

i hunt tell me what you need a hand gun for? you don't hunt animals with one you only hunt people.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 17 2004, 03:00 AM
i hunt tell me what you need a hand gun for? you don't hunt animals with one you only hunt people.
[post=433556]Quoted post[/post]​

So the king of england doesnt come into your house and push you around.

. . . seriously though - a handgun is great for self defence purposes in close quarters (i.e. your kitchen/bedroom/house).

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 17 2004, 09:17 AM
its unconstitutional.

you have the right to bear arms
[post=433592]Quoted post[/post]​

exactly.

There is nothing a coercive govt. fears more than an 'armed' populous. Not that our govt. is coercive [yet?] but it is OUR right as citizens to own handguns. Not to mention our forefathers DIED so that we could excersize that right.

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Dec 17 2004, 07:54 AM
There is nothing a coercive govt. fears more than an 'armed' populous. Not that our govt. is coercive [yet?] but it is OUR right as citizens to own handguns. Not to mention our forefathers DIED so that we could excersize that right.
[post=433603]Quoted post[/post]​

Before you say something like that, you should reread the 2nd Amendment.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

They wrote the Constitution, which our forefathers defended with their lives, so that the country could be defended by its people in case of a corrupt, violent government, an invasion of the country, etc. They didn't write that Amendment just so that every toothless hick could own a gun, nor did they write it so that Bubba can go hunting every weekend, nor did they write it so that you could defend your home by shooting a burglar.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Dec 17 2004, 11:55 AM

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

They wrote the Constitution, which our forefathers defended with their lives, so that the country could be defended by its people in case of a corrupt, violent government, an invasion of the country, etc. They didn't write that Amendment just so that every toothless hick could own a gun, nor did they write it so that Bubba can go hunting every weekend, nor did they write it so that you could defend your home by shooting a burglar.

But you really can't have one without the other..

Originally posted by DarkHand+Dec 17 2004, 10:58 AM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@Dec 17 2004, 11:55 AM

But you really can't have one without the other..
[post=433711]Quoted post[/post]​

I understand that. The Constitution is written so that it lays down the frame of our laws, and allows the governments/courts to interpret and enforce those laws based on the Constitution. This is why we can tell Bubba that he's not allowed to own a semi- or fully-automatic assault rifle to go shooting pheasants with.

I was making the point that, many people think that the 2nd Amendment says that everyone's allowed to own a gun, and don't realize the full context of the Amendment. Our forefathers didn't die for us so that we could own guns - they died so that WE could live to DEFEND our country in the future (from a violent government or a foreign invader), and the ownership of firearms could possibly facilitate that.

same sense though, without the ownership of firearms our forefathers would have starved

I realize that the world is a different place now, and then need to hunt for one's own food has become outdated, as we now have these crazy establishments called supermarkets

However, hunting and the possession of firearms still help many struggling families survive- Laugh all you want, but without deer in the freezer, my family would go hungry

That said though, I can understand a big city trying to ban handguns- In a city like that, I'm sure the majority of handgun ownership is for self defense, or fo poppin a nigga that be fronting- Is it a good idea? I don't think so- By making legal handgun possession illegal, you prevent law obiding citizens from having legal handguns for self defense. These law odibing citizens won't go to illegal means to possess a gun and as such, become inherently vulnerable to the large amount of black market weapons that will no doubt be in the hands of the wrong people, should this law get passed.

Totally untrue. I also hunt, and I know more than one person that hunts solely with a handgun. Why? Think about people that have had surgery on, or the amputation of a limb. Is it fair to saw that person can't hunt? Or moreso, is it fair to say that person no longer has the consitutional right to posess a firearm because they have one arm? come on dude

[Charlton Heston]You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hand[/Charlton Heston]

It's weird how most crimes by a gun are not caused by guns with papers most are all as stated before black market guns.

Pot, Coke, LSD,... list goes on and on all of them are illegal drugs.

How come people still manage to get them?

Bottom line, Putting a ban on guns would only remove good people from the list of people who own guns.

Good people, Bad people, Cops.

ok so now we're left with Cops, and Bad people.

wonderful frigginful.

P.S

I have a few close older friends who have at one point did something that gave them a felony in one case it was shooting off fireworks....

anyways one of them owns about 60 guns. keep in mind he cannot buy guns becuase of the felony charge.

Hmmmmm weird how he has a couple safes FILLED with them.
from newer bad ass guns to some old pre 1900 stuff.

How did he get the guns? does he have an underground sorce? hahaha nope. He just walks up to anyone at a gun show and buys them. if that's an issue then you buy a gun in piece by piece and put it together later on.

He does 2 things. collects and goes to the shooting range.

So heres a guy who CANNOT own a gun but some how has managed to own 60+ guns.

No matter what laws they make if someone wants something they can get it.

drugs, guns, and anything else you can think of.

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Dec 17 2004, 09:51 AM-->
hcivic.com
@Dec 17 2004, 03:00 AM
[post=433556]Quoted post[/post]​

So the king of england doesnt come into your house and push you around.

. . . seriously though - a handgun is great for self defence purposes in close quarters (i.e. your kitchen/bedroom/house).
[post=433601]Quoted post[/post]​

Somehow, I never hear that many stories about how a good person owned a handgun and saved a life or made any situation better. I can count them on the fingers of one hand. Let the police have the handguns and just let them do their job safely. The "good people" that own or want to own handguns seem to have this hero fantasy complex. As to only the bad people left having handguns, well I would rather just have the police deal with them directly. Someone can just as easily rob me with a handgun as with a hunting knife.

I really think handgun restrictions makes even more sense within the city limits of a densely populated urban area. I'm thinking about the extremely close living quarters in those areas and extra stresses resulting in road rage and domestic violence, none of which owning a handgun would improve. In terms of "home security".... the majority of break-ins occur when the house or apartment is empty. Then in my area earlier in the year, we had a few single women assaulted in the middle of the night in their beds, having a handgun under their pillow would only have made the situation worse. Lastly, and in a crowd, I don't want some misguided "good person" trying to defend the rest of us from "bad people". Any extra handgun being waved around is bad news and too distracting for the arriving police as many times they onlyhave split seconds to determine the bad guys.

Cowboys and indians was a fun childhood game not meant to be played by adults with real guns in real life. I can understand the appeal of owning a handgun, but the burden of ownership is great and requires more maturity than most "good people" have. And don't stereotype what an average "good person" is and only capable of... or what you think a "bad person" is.

I feel the same way about highway speed limits as some of you feel about handgun restrictions... but there are a lot of us on this planet and these rules are created to protect the majority of society from themselves. What might help this trend is if we could lower the population levels and have a much less crowded (with people) environment.... we need more elbow room and resources per person.

in a crowd, I don't want some misguided "good person" trying to defend the rest of us from "bad people". Any extra handgun being waved around is bad news

Most states you CANNOT carry a weapon unless you have a permit and in most cases you can only get those if you have a good reason like moving money or working late hours with lots of money. it's VERY hard to get a permit to carry VERY.

However you can have a hand gun in your house. you can go to a shooting range with a hand gun (you have to keep the ammo clip in the trunk and the gun up front.)
If you're cought with a gun that's loaded or even just a gun up front as with an ammo clip in the back seat in arms reach you could go straight to jail.

So the only time you see some "good person" waving a gun around in a public place I bet theres a 99.5% chance that that gun is illegal. (even cops CANNOT take their gun out unless there's enough reason to have to use it)
On another note poeple defend theirselfs all the time at home with guns you just don't hear about it on the news.

just a few weeks ago a guy broke into someones house where a whole family was sleeping the father heard the guy and grabed has handgun walked around spoted the guy cleary saw he hand a gun and then took his ass down.

Well I guess you're going to say that was wrong becuase you don't know if the guy is going to shoot or not...... bottom line he had a LOADED gun even if it was a toy gun it makes no differance." just ask a cop" and he did IMO the right thing.

1. guy broke into someones house late at night
2. was ARMED

what more do you need to know?

it happens a lot you just never hear about it.

Guns can be a touchy subject so look at it like the internet with kidnappings

Kidnappings happen EVERYDAY, but you hear about a few cases a year that stand out.

however, when it happens a couple times a year from the internet the media RUNS with it.

same goes for bad gun cases. If it goes well bad guy goes down good guy is fine then thats no story but if the guy happens to fuck up and shoot the wrong person the news will grab that story and run with it.

I am officially a San Francisco City and County resident. I have not heard one word about this, and I am back in the city now for the holidays. I will have to read the proposed bill if there is one, to decide whether I will vote in favor of it or not. However, I am a fisherman, I am all in favor of going out and hunting what you are going to eat or trophy. I am not in favor of weapons used solely to injure or kill people. My verdict is, if this is really a proposed law that will be put on a ballot, the city will vote in favor of it. And as a gun owner I am slightly in favor of it.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Dec 19 2004, 12:33 PM
1. guy broke into someones house late at night
2. was ARMED

what more do you need to know?

it happens a lot you just never hear about it.
[post=434403]Quoted post[/post]​

I suspect that if successful home defense with a handgun was more common, the NRA would be diligently compiling and documenting the stories. Again, there is a difference between living in the country, the suburbs and in a city. Otherwise, again, I don't like the idea of having a loaded handgun handy in the bedroom for the foiling of possible night attacks, especially if there are children in the house. What about secret nighttime raids on the refrigerator? It need not be a dangerous event. If I was so paranoid and couldn't find a safer neighborhood to live in, then I would sooner install some sort of emergency call button to a security service. Anyway, its a better line of defense to have motion detectors installed around the perimeter of the house, clear the bushes that they can hide in and own a dog. There are much safer deterrents than having a loaded handgun on hand.

Anyway jeffie7, I find it interesting that you make these threads expressing your concerned over possible upcoming legislation of emissions testing and handgun control even though in both you admitted right away that it's no trouble to skirt the rules. Well the population of our country grows and for whatever reasons, the average level of our collective intelligence gets lower and lower.... these rules are basically to protect the average person from themselves. It's all well and good to joke about just letting Darwin weed out the idiots, but in reality, we do need some order in our country.

BTW I have no objections to hunting and the rifles that go with that activity.

the DC snipers were using a hunting rifle

like jeffie said... there are always illegal ways to get anything you want... making handguns illegal is pointless, as most handguns used in crimes are not legally owned, registered hand guns in the first place... basicly if someone is already breaking 7 different laws by owning a gun, what makes you think that the 8th law will make any difference to them

gun laws only effect people who obey them

LOL call the police. As blanco said....

The area I live in has ONE police officer working at night. Keep in mind when I say my area I mean the whole southern part of the county.

it can take 15+ mins to drive from one side of his post to the other.

If I hit a call button the cops will show up just in time to MAYBE see the car leave. too bad anyone in the house wouldnt be around anymore.

Anyway, its a better line of defense to have motion detectors installed around the perimeter of the house, clear the bushes that they can hide in and own a dog. There are much safer deterrents than having a loaded handgun on hand.

.... I wish that was the case.

we make a point at where I work to have a camera right up front where everyone can see it. our business is right off a major 6 lane road about 1/4th mile from the police station. we also have a hidden call button.

Do you really think that stoped us from getting robbed at gun point a few years back?

Most of the houses on my street that have been robbed over the years were in clear view and have all things have happened in the middle of the day.

Bottom line if someone wants something they will get it no matter where they're at.
just like cars. people steal them all the time even right in front of people in the middle of the day.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Dec 17 2004, 01:20 PM-->

[post=433737]Quoted post[/post]​

So why cant we have guns again?

:blink:

dohcvtec_accord
@Dec 17 2004, 01:20 PM

Our forefathers didn't die for us so that we could own guns - they died so that WE could live to DEFEND our country in the future (from a violent government or a foreign invader), and the ownership of firearms could possibly facilitate that.
[post=433737]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds like you dont know what the hell you are talking about.

Maybe we should defend our country with sticks and stones?

Back