rebuild or find a lower mileage swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

I originally picked up a 96 GSR with 170k+ on it with intentions of rebuilding the motor and boosting it, but now the more I think about it, would I be better off just finding a lower mileage swap?

I'm just concerned about the possibility of weakened components like rods, etc

If you are willing to spend the money, I would replace things such as the bearings at the very least, then take it from there. Heck, while I was in there, I would check to see if everything checked out and oh, I don't know...get some aftermarket rods and pistons for it, give it a fresh hone and then have it be even more ready for boost. :ph34r: Those are just my two cents. I personally would not get rid of it though, as you will most likely end up paying a heck of a lot more on a different engine instead of building this one up a bit.

I am sure others will have their opinions as this is just mine.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

if you are going to boost it regardless of what you decide, then i would definitely say re-build the engine you have! buying another engine with less miles is nice and all, but really you want stronger internal parts no matter how many miles you have. if you are definitely boosting it anyways.

if your going to have the motor appart u might aswell just throw some quality parts in there, and clean up things like the crank and block and have a 0 miles bottom end. then its like pretty much having a new motor. you can get quality forged rods and pistons for like 700 bucks, some minor machine work, and some small parts an your off to the races with a solid motor. build it!

well either way i don't plan on going with rods & pistons, it's only going to be supercharged @ ~10psi, probably well below 350hp. I just really don't want to be sinking that kind of $$ into it if I'm not going to be boosting the crap out of it, especially when that same $ could better be spent elsewhere like a down payment on a house.

I'm more wondering which would be better financially- I could either drop the $ to rebuild the motor I have now or sell the one I have now which would pay for a good chunk of a lower mileage swap that *should* be fine in stock form

I'm thinking even if I do most of the labor myself, the cost of bearings, rings, possibly having crank turned, etc will be more than the difference of what I could theoretically sell my engine for and what I could get a lower mileage one for. Not to mention the pain in the ass and downtime factors whereas I could just yank the existing engine and drop in a different one...

I'm halfway tempted to just say f it, throw the blower on this engine and see how long it lasts then worry about it later... or sooner... :eek:

i dunno, just figuring on worst case scenario once i get it torn down if journals are scored then the cost of the rebuild kind of skyrockets

if i do decide to do the rebuild, should I really do a quick clean up hone regardless?

and I understand why rings need to be done ie- loss of compression, oil burning, etc but how do you know when bearings need replacing?

bearings are not that expensive if your gonna have the motor broke down anyway. you may as well put the extra $ into it while your there. or you might wish you would have later on.

once you enter into the speed ring, you only want more. its addicting.

have fun!

Back