Rebuilding a Transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Where do you suggest getting the parts from? Majestic or did you get yours from a local shop?

your mechanic needs to know what to look for on the gears and sliders also as if you just throw in some syncros/blocking rings you will likely find out that if it had a grind before it will still be a little rough in and out of that gear because the engagement teeth are jacked up

I think I understood that run-on sentence. haha In order to fix the problem with the teeth, would the gear have to be replaced?

And whiterabbit, thanks for the link. Now I just have to find one for Civic's. :D

yes sorry for the long string of words. The engagement teeth are made on to the gear. When you have a grinding issue the gear its self usualy needs replaced and the slider usualy does also.

Hey, thanks for the GREAT write-up. I was never going to take my transmission apart until I read this step-by-step and I am a visual learner so this REALLY helped out. Thanks again. I am going to rebuild my 1990' Civic Cx (D15b2) transmission (by rebuild I mean clean and check the 4th gear). I just have a question; I was taking the casing off and it will not come off, is this because I have not removed the intermediate shaft?. One more question; I am rebuilding my D16a6 block and D16y8 head so will an LSD do anything for power on this set-up. I have CAI, header, some headwork and a couple of other little things for power. Would LSD be suitable for the enigne I mentioned above. Thanks and I am REALLY sorry to pester you with a lot of questions.:)

Did you open this snap ring?
DSC00638.jpg

As far as adding an LSD it helps with traction not power. In other words you build the engine to have the power and the LSD helps you put that power to the ground.

No I did not pull the snap ring out, but I will as soon as I get the snap ring pliers. Are they sold as "Snap Ring Pliers"?. As well, thank you for the information on the LSD, I will take it into account considering I only have 140-145 hp; I highly doubt it would be a good buy for my engine combo. Thanks again!.

Back