Rechipping ecu from si to zc? $20 fix?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
I see all these rechipping roms all over ebay, they supposidly will convert a ecu, such as my old 88si to a zc compatible ecu, I do electrical repair, so for me to put it in is no problem, but I don't know if it will actually give good fuel curves, good redline, etc. Anyone have any experience with these? :unsure:

88 si = PITA

only 90-91 ECUs had the external ROM that makes them easy to chip.
You're looking at a more involved hardware mod of one variety or another if you are looking to keep you 88 Si ECU.

see http://www.pgmfi.org for more details.

As long as it works, I have no problem with modifications to the board, but I don't know as much about the engine stuff, I just want to see if the chip itself is worth it.

LET ME BE MORE BLUNT.

PITA = Pain In The Ass
IT IS NOT EASY OR TRIVIAL TO GET A FUCKING CHIP FROM EBAY AND PLUG IT IN A 88-89 ECU.

You can't chip 88-89 computers with a simple EPROM like you can with the 90-91s.

You need one of the following:
-Code modified to run in a non-oki MCU (won't find this on ebay, guaranteed)
-Adapter board to allow the use of an external EPROM (again, won't find this on ebay) that plugs in and replaces the 40pin MCU
-a 90-91 ECU.

Go read on PGMFI and you might not even need to pay some stunna $9.99 + $42.69 s+h to mail you a turd ass chip. You might be able to (gasp) learn and do it yourself.

Back