recomendations for a JRSC on a b16a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I recently found a guy locally selling a used JRSC for a yet undetermined amount (I'm trying to bargain him down a bit more) but it should be around 1G all said and done and he says that it has about 20k miles on it

I'm just wondering what you guys think I should do for prepping my stock JDM b16a for seeing 6psi off the SC?

I have a comptech 4-2-1 and a 2.25in bosal SS exhaust on the car right now and I don't plan on changing that.

I'm just wondering if I can safely bolt the SC on and go, or if I should be considering changing fuel, timing, etc.

I don't plan on abusing the thing, I currently drive the car everyday and do so pretty mildly (with the exception of the occasional autoX)
so the SC won't be seeing hard duty 90% of the time

only helpful suggestions please, I don't need any flack from the SC haters out there. I know turbo is better, this is just easier right now

thanks guys
Sean

Get your self Hondata and go get tuned. A bigger fuel pump and 270cc or 310cc injectors wouldn't hurt either. It's all in the tuning, just be sure to find yourself a good tuner that familiar with whatever engine management system you choose.

:werd:

Tuning would be good. The JRSC on top of a B16 at stock boost is a really mild/easy combination to run though, so there's not really much you need to do to prep your block.

just make sure you get it all. theres 213123 little ass parts on the s/c system. when we put sisteve's on, it was 2 full days of work. thats what sucks about buying used. its going to be tough to replace a random part..

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 13 2004, 01:20 PM
just make sure you get it all. theres 213123 little ass parts on the s/c system. when we put sisteve's on, it was 2 full days of work. thats what sucks about buying used. its going to be tough to replace a random part..
[post=389709]Quoted post[/post]​

the-guy-islocal-so-i-should-be-able-to-make-sure-all-the-parts-are-there.__but-you-think-i-should-be-able-to-run-it-at-6psi-without-tuning-or-fuel-work-pretty-safely?__i-will-eventually-get-it-tuned-but-i-don't-really-want-to-at-the-end-of-the-summer.

(sorry-about-the-typing-the-computer-is-going-schizo-and-the-space-bar-doesn't-work)

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Sep 13 2004, 07:53 AM
Get your self Hondata and go get tuned. A bigger fuel pump and 270cc or 310cc injectors wouldn't hurt either. It's all in the tuning, just be sure to find yourself a good tuner that familiar with whatever engine management system you choose.
[post=389646]Quoted post[/post]​

I would just go ahead and get all of those listed up above. It really helps out the supercharging process, and if you decide to go up to 8PSI, then you just need the pully and water injection kit.

Originally posted by seanjuan+Sep 13 2004, 05:14 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Sep 13 2004, 01:20 PM
[post=389709]Quoted post[/post]​

the-guy-islocal-so-i-should-be-able-to-make-sure-all-the-parts-are-there.__but-you-think-i-should-be-able-to-run-it-at-6psi-without-tuning-or-fuel-work-pretty-safely?__i-will-eventually-get-it-tuned-but-i-don't-really-want-to-at-the-end-of-the-summer.

(sorry-about-the-typing-the-computer-is-going-schizo-and-the-space-bar-doesn't-work)
[post=389772]Quoted post[/post]​

its a small gain, and thus, an fmu is ok... but you will make more, safer power on the rommed-up ecu.

Get AT LEAST 310CC injectors. With just 150 WHP, my b16a was at 90-95% on the stock injectors.

I really don't recommend the JRSC, but if it's cheap, then ok, do it.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 14 2004, 03:24 AM
Get AT LEAST 310CC injectors. With just 150 WHP, my b16a was at 90-95% on the stock injectors.

I really don't recommend the JRSC, but if it's cheap, then ok, do it.
[post=390059]Quoted post[/post]​

Hmmm. I've been ok at 185-190whp with my 310s, and that's at stock fuel pressure too, even capable of running the engine at 10:1 at 8000rpm if I want to.

Originally posted by [Freemantle]@Sep 14 2004, 03:14 PM
The FMU is okay for such a low gain, but be prepared to get the "gas-station" warranty on your sparkplugs...
[post=390231]Quoted post[/post]​

not sure what you mean by "gas-station" waranty?

and I believe the Jackson setup includes an FPR so I would think that should help the stock injectors push out enough fuel... maybe I'm wrong though

would running the jackson just on the stock ECU be a bad idea for a while at least or should I definately be looking into an FMU.... if so, what are your recomendations for a decent one... assuming I don't have the cash to go with Hondata

thanks

Originally posted by seanjuan+Sep 15 2004, 11:39 AM-->
[Freemantle
,Sep 14 2004, 03:14 PM]The FMU is okay for such a low gain, but be prepared to get the "gas-station" warranty on your sparkplugs...
[post=390231]Quoted post[/post]​

not sure what you mean by "gas-station" waranty?

[post=390636]Quoted post[/post]​

Fill her up, swap out your fouled plugs.

If you run an FMU, make sure you snag a vacuum source after the bleed off. If you don't, you will be adding fuel for 11 lbs of boost, though your motor is only seeing about 6. Sounds stupid but I have heard of someone doing just that.

well, in light of things brought up here and some careful consideration of my own I'm thinking that if I can get a good deal on this SC that it would be worth the investment to go with hondata.
because in the future if I were to decide that I wanted to go turbo and ditch the SC I would want to have hondata then anyway

so my next question is will running the jackson with hondata be sufficient or are there still further upgrades that I should consider?

will the Hondata/Jackson base programing be sufficient for a while or would be be strongly recomended to get some tuning done right away?

thanks for all the helpful comments so far and please keep them coming

get it tuned. EVERY motor is different. it will by far be a solid base map.... but 4 pulls on the dyno can net you a lot of power.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 16 2004, 01:10 PM
get it tuned. EVERY motor is different. it will by far be a solid base map.... but 4 pulls on the dyno can net you a lot of power.
[post=391141]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, I'm looking into where in the Twin cities tunes hondata and how much it would be. If that ends up out of my current price range I would think I could put it off till spring or something without doing any harm other than not making quite as much power

Originally posted by seanjuan@Sep 16 2004, 03:59 PM
yeah, I'm looking into where in the Twin cities tunes hondata and how much it would be. If that ends up out of my current price range I would think I could put it off till spring or something without doing any harm other than not making quite as much power
[post=391238]Quoted post[/post]​

Thumbs-up for someone who does the tune.

it all depends man.. a base map is a base map.

it all comes down to- how much do you trust the person who made it? hwo much did they know about YOUR car?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 16 2004, 07:39 PM
it all depends man.. a base map is a base map.

it all comes down to- how much do you trust the person who made it? hwo much did they know about YOUR car?
[post=391293]Quoted post[/post]​

true,
I found out last night that there is a shop in Minneapolis that distributes and tunes hondata. they do an hour of tuning for $140 and I found a guy on HT that sells hondata and get get my an s200 with boost shipped for $410
so for $550 I can have a pretty good setup (plus the cost to solder the hondata up to my ecu, but that isn't much)

I would think an hour of tuning should be enough to get things pretty straight, from all I've heard these guys really know what they are doing too

now it's just a question of if larger injectors or an FPR will be needed, any other thoughts?

you have hondata- you need larger injectors.

i'd get some 440s or go the cheapo dsm 450 + resistor box route.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 17 2004, 10:40 AM
you have hondata- you need larger injectors.

i'd get some 440s or go the cheapo dsm 450 + resistor box route.
[post=391517]Quoted post[/post]​

is it even worth trying to have it tuned without getting larger injectors?

Back