Recommend me forum software...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

My company wants me to setup message forums for our technicians around the country... Need to have the following requirements:

#1. IDIOT PROOF! We have guys that are COMPLETE MORONS
#2. File Attachments
#3. Nice FAQ setup
#4. Good business enviornment
#5. Easily maintainable / monitorable
#6. Dialup safe

I'm sure there's more... But this should be a good start... So far the candidates I have are:

Invision
phpBB
vBulletin

any other suggestions?

phpbb sucks. trust me, i know.

and phpbb crashing is also why we are on invision board right now.

IMO, invision takes the key--- ESPECIALLY for what you are trying to do- mainly, because you can tie it in to active directory :)

perfect for a business solution.

you can easily set up a faq page and link it from the menu bar, or if you get creative, add it in as a module or component.
hell, there's probably a mod for it already over at invisionize.com

I've never liked VB. I still don't. even as a user... i hate it.

i think the interface is lame. i hate the
---
|---
..|--- menu set up on the top left...
i hate the pop up nav bar....

I have another requirement... Any changes... have to be done THROUGH THE SOFTWARE... My I.T. department is being a bunch of DOUSCHEBAGS and don't want me to have FTP access to the webserver... Will Invision allow this?

Quoted post[/post]]
I have another requirement... Any changes... have to be done THROUGH THE SOFTWARE... My I.T. department is being a bunch of DOUSCHEBAGS and don't want me to have FTP access to the webserver... Will Invision allow this?

Ya know just cause were on the subject........ the seach function here sucks balls. Not to say one tihng over the other cause i dont know whats all envolved but i like the Honda tech search function much better, it seems to pin point what your look for better. Not to mention here you can even search EG6 or ef9 or ecu, on other words no three letter words.

Quoted post[/post]]

yes. all skins are served through templates that are saved in the DB, and dynamically cached to php files on the file system.

the only thing you need ftp access for is the orig. set up of the board, and to chmod the right folders for the permissions (ie, 777 for the emoticon and avatar directories, so new images can be written there)

unless your chanigng code base, there's no need for ftp access... perhaps you should add the faq mod in before ftp'ing :p

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Ya know just cause were on the subject........ the seach function here sucks balls. Not to say one tihng over the other cause i dont know whats all envolved but i like the Honda tech search function much better, it seems to pin point what your look for better. Not to mention here you can even search EG6 or ef9 or ecu, on other words no three letter words.

this has been brought up 2312423423123 times.

full-text search is limited to 4 characters. theres nothing the baord can do about it. there's nothing i can do about it. its the limitation of the database.

unless you want to dump me $20,000 for an oracle license, deal with it.

and hoenstly, WTF do you expect to find with a search for ECU?? 2312312312 threads??

make your titles specific, and search specific, and you will find what you need...

Quoted post[/post]]
this has been brought up 2312423423123 times.

full-text search is limited to 4 characters. theres nothing the baord can do about it. there's nothing i can do about it. its the limitation of the database.

unless you want to dump me $20,000 for an oracle license, deal with it.

and hoenstly, WTF do you expect to find with a search for ECU?? 2312312312 threads??

make your titles specific, and search specific, and you will find what you need...

Make that 2312423423124 times.

I agree that it sucks, being that most of honda's chassis codes, ECUs, and motors are three letters. It gets frustrating, especially since this is a swap sight where that is the beef of the place. But hey, I don't have 20 bills to slap down so you can fix it, so I guess I'll deal with it.

I've always like the user interface on vBulletin. No idea about the admin side though. at least they can search 3 letter words :ph34r:

Ok ok.. I'll leave the dead horse alone now.

i CAN turn full-text searching off....

but then your search query will take about an hour to complete....

and again, what would you possibly hope to find buy searching on "eg6" or "ecu"

even "b16" or "p28" can send you on a wild goose chase.

BE SPECIFIC.

Quoted post[/post]]
i CAN turn full-text searching off....

but then your search query will take about an hour to complete....

and again, what would you possibly hope to find buy searching on "eg6" or "ecu"

even "b16" or "p28" can send you on a wild goose chase.

BE SPECIFIC.

That would be spelled (by) but yeah anyways i didnt realise that it had been braught up so much. And honestly i can think of alot that i cant search for, and even when i do i does not seem to bring up much of what im looking for and even more so when i get specific.. I know how to use search's And tihs one just dont work that well.

yeah... when i can get this thing setup... i'm gonna make sure i have EVERYTHING ready to go... Because to make ANY changes to the server level requires paperwork to be signed by managers, VP's, and the CEO... :rollseyes:

Is there a way you can set it up and test it offline?

Is there a demo of Invision? I'm thinkin about setting it up on my personal host, just to show the people at the company that it will work nicely. They are trying to convince me to use a Lotus Notes Teamroom Database... Which SUCKS ASS as far as usability & layout is concerned.

I'm playing aroudn on invisionfree.com... Pretty SWEET! Now... I'm going to make a big chunk of the board i need to make here... Will it be exportable if I end up buying Invision?

OK B.. I'm LOVIN THIS SHIT! Are there good forums for how to's, or tips, things like that? How can I have the search bar at the top? When I buy the software do i get like a manual or something?

This software is SOOO nice...

don't get a hemroid :p

i84925719_63726.gif

I'm not you. :p And I was wondering if you'd pick up the reference... :)

So btw... if i buy the software, will I be able to export this board so I don't have to start over from scratch?

I was hoping to do this on monday... But now I find out I have to go to NJ... AGAIN.. :cry:

i dont know much about the free server.... but you can export and import the DB on the regular version...

Back