Recommend Muffler!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

disableddan

Crazy Insane
Hey all!
I ordered a Hedman header for my 01 civ. I'm wondering about some nice not-ricey sounding muffler/resonator combos. I looked at some second hand magnaflows and one of those 2-pass mufflers (where the exhaust goes through twice?) on ebay, just dont want to end up with the "pissed off wasp" effect.
I had a magnaflow muff on my EF but stock resonator...
Thanks!!

If your looking for something quiet, check out the GReddy Sp2 catback, or the Apexi Ws2 catback. Good performance without the noise.

:werd:, those are great choices along with the RS*R Exmag.

Have you thought about using a muffler from a RSX or +07 Si or HFP version? They're pretty large, I have a 07 Si one but wouldn't fit under my 88 Civic...but a lot of people say they give the car a nice tone.

Here's a vid I found with I'm assuming a D16-powered Civic:
YouTube - New 07 si muffler on a 2000 civic
YouTube - New 07 si muffler on a 2000 civic

I'd look into a spintech muffler Spin Tech Mufflers. They are gaining popularity with many of the domestic guys because it sounds like a chambered muffler (aka flowmaster 40 series), but flows twice as well. This means that it won't be loud like a run of the mill fart cannon.

This past Monday I built an exhaust system for my friend's v6 s-10 and it sounds aggressive, but not as loud as a flowmaster. Even better it didn't resonate inside the cabin like his old flowmaster did.

I fully plan on using one for my exhaust build this spring. You should look into it.

A lot of V8s normally sound deep so there's no way to really verify it would get rid of rasp. The D-series seem like they have a sharper tone than even the B-series; I've heard Magnaflow and Flowmaster setups with D-series that still had some raspiness to it.

It's a Honda, and based on my experience, you can never get rid of the raspiness and/or rattling. I just put on a Buddy Club Racing Spec 2 cat back to finish up my set up with ebay stainless header (exactly like dc sports), akimoto racing sports short ram intake and my catalytic converter was going out so I replaced it with a $10 test pipe rather than wasting $100 on a new cat. All I can say is it's louder than SHIT, but with the silencer that came with it, it sounds hella good, awesome tone, not too loud, but no matter what I do, there's always the rattling at certain rpms and some raspiness to it. The pipes aren't even close to touching anything other than the hangars like they're supposed to but it still rattles.

And the buddy club racing spec 2 doesn't have a muffler, it's a straight pipe with a slightly flared tip. That's what made me decide to buy it because it doesn't have a humongous tip it's only like a 3" tip maybe, plust the tone with a silencer and no cat or resonators is perfect to me.

That may be why you always hear raspiness.

There ARE Hondas out there with no raspiness. It's all in the setup. My brother is running no cat, but his exhaust is quiet. Know how? Stock CX exhaust with a D15B2 header. ;)

And, as stated before, a lot of the guys running WS2, SP2, and RS*R have got rid of rasp.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of muffler info right there :D
I checked out all the suggested products and it's still pretty tough, except for price :p
I'm just wondering, a lot of these systems are "cat back" or whatever so I'm still going to have a to go to the exhasut shop and get a filler made for where the cat is, since the hedder I ordered is (i think) a 2.5" outlet and the stock exhaust on my car is like 1.5 IF that :D And some of these cat backs don't state the pipe diameter on ebay and whatnot. So now I'm wondering if it is worth it to order an exhaust off ebay and make it work, or should I bring my cordless swazall to pick n pull and try to get lucky again like I did with my EF? :D Speaking of which....... I don't think I ever posted a picture of how my exhaust was on my EF. So here it is: (edit! its peeking out just in front of the rear passenger wheel)

10$ at pick n pull, I got a magnaflow muffler and some nice 2.5" pipe with a 90 degree bend in it, perfect for the side exit, as well as a magnaflow tip which didn't stay clean for very long :D I burned a lot of oil.
But back on topic, I was pretty satisfied with the magnaflow, and they're widely available for cheap. Those spintech mufflers look like they were made in someone's garage!! And the SP2 and WS2 are kind of expensive. Shipping stuff to Canada off ebay is always what makes it not worth it it seems. :p
Anyway, I'm gonna look into some of this stuff and get back to you guys. Thanks very much for sharing your exhaust experiences!

I even have a recording of how it sounds if anyone wants to hear it :p
For some reason I have a problem with paying a lot for an exhaust system, perhaps because my first one cost about 15$ plus beer and about 3 hours of my life.

Dynomax w/ resonator and it'll be pretty quiet

Back