Red Sox...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the yankees arent a team, just a bunch of high priced players that under achieve

Just because they are on a good team, you can not take away from a players talent. Jeter, great player. Clemens, great player. Bernie Williams, great player. The Yanks have a huge payroll, but they have a great team, they winning records show. I don't agree with it, but don't undermine the players.

baseball is teh ghey. if i wanted to watch old fat men standing around id walk into my dads room.

play a real sport like hockey/football/rugby

yes the yankees have one of the highest (is it the highest?? show me) payroll, but pedro is being payed 70 MILLION DOLLARS...how soon you forget. the yankees have NO big outstanding end-all players. they are consistant, they are well rounded. Yes you can say clemens, giambi, and hideki are all star players. but the yankees have good players because of their SCOUTING! not the payroll. jeter, posada, soriano..just to name a few came up with the yankees. but yes, it will come down to pitching...which neither teams have good relief pitching. but expect mariano to come in when the yankees are in the lead in the ninth...maybe with 1 or 2 outs in the 8th. you might, and thats a big might, to see mariano when the yanks are behind. (but id only assume tht would happen when the yanks are down by 1 run

edit, pushed reply to soon

And Alex Rodriquez is getting 240 million, what is your point? I would rahter pay one guy a shit load of money, and pay the other guys less if the will except it. That is where the Yankee's are smart and dumb. Pay the guys enough to stay a wining team, at the price of ruining baseball. I don't agree with how much these guys get paid, but I know for a fact that I would work for that much.

the yankees have NO big outstanding end-all players. they are consistant, they are well rounded. Yes you can say clemens, giambi, and hideki are all star players. but the yankees have good players because of their SCOUTING! not the payroll. jeter, posada, soriano..just to name a few came up with the yankees.

Clemens, Giambi, Hideki, Jeter are some one of the best in the Major League for their position, so how is that not, stacking (I think that is the name.) When all the good players are on one team? I mean you will never see the Expos, Indians etc. going anywhere because they can't afford the big boys, because of people like Steinberner.

Originally posted by quicksi@Oct 8 2003, 01:22 PM
Hmmm, so Pedro is only going to be pitching one game, huh?

umm....who told you that???? Just so I can requote myself:
Then goes Lwe in game 2, Pedro in game 3, with Suppan/Burkett in game 4, Wake in Game 5, Lowe in game 6, and Pedro in game 7............

Yep, just trying to be funny. In other words, implying that there won't be a Game 7. Ahh well, guess my comment was wasted.

And to whomever implied that baseball isn't a real sport....don't go bringing hockey or rugby into it, which are both a bunch of overgrown boys who have an organized and condoned way to beat the shit out of each other. That isn't a sport.

And to whomever implied that baseball isn't a real sport....don't go bringing hockey or rugby into it, which are both a bunch of overgrown boys who have an organized and condoned way to beat the shit out of each other. That isn't a sport.

I have to give that a big mutha f'in :werd:

EDIT: Page 2 :owned:

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 8 2003, 06:33 PM

I have to give that a big mutha f'in :werd:

EDIT: Page 2 :owned:

I'm glad we can put aside our team differences to do a little hockey-bashing. :D

Yeah, me too. What I hate most though, is the those dumb ass bumperstickers "Give blood, play hockey." I hate those stupid things, and who the fuck cares about Rugby, you better not be living in America if you said that. Football/Boxing, are the only legitimate contact sports.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 9 2003, 07:10 AM
Yeah, me too. What I hate most though, is the those dumb ass bumperstickers "Give blood, play hockey." I hate those stupid things, and who the fuck cares about Rugby, you better not be living in America if you said that. Football/Boxing, are the only legitimate contact sports.

Preach on brothaman. I live in a state (Colorado) where people are absolutely rabid about hockey and their hockey team (the Avalanche). I only give a shit about hockey when the Av's are in the playoffs, and the games are MILDLY interesting to watch on TV. Otherwise, I'd rather watch fishing than a regular-season hockey game.

Don't get me wrong though, a hockey game is a blast to go watch live. As are most sports.

Except soccer.

Which just sucks.

:worthy: :worthy:

How true is that. When I was living in California, I watched the Ducks (dumbest name ever) lose, I wanted them to win but other than that. Hockey = Canadians with :mullet:

Let me amend that:

Hockey = Canadians with :mullet: , no teeth and dumb-ass pansy-sounding French names

Watching a Hockey game on TV is like watching paint dry.....

as far as Baserball goes:

I think that Pettit will win tonight. The Sox are forced to keep Todd walker in at second base because of his hot bat. That puts the defense at a disadvantage with Lowe on the mound, since he is a sinkerball pitcher and induces 70% of his hits to be grounders. Now Walker doesn't have the range to be a great defenseive player. He is a good player, but just average defensivly. Offensivly, he is talented. Now normally, I just assume use Damien Jackson at second because of his defense range, but he lacks the offensive punch that Walker has.

So, having said that, I thin kthat the Sox will lose tonight against Pettit by a score of 3-1........

By the way, has anyone notices how well Bostons Bullpen has held together? Timlin looks like the jeff Stanton of the late 90's Yanks, Williamson has been getting it done, and Embry has looked good.........

Well, one average defensive player will not cause a team to lose. However, I still think that the Sox will lose. Pettite is a great pitcher, that is why I don't think they can win. I think the score will be even lower than that though, more like 1-0.

If that average player can't make a diving catch to end a 2 out inning with a runner on third, then yes, that average player can lose you the game.....It never fails in baseball, somehow, it seems that your weakness is always exposed......

Your basically saying that the highest OBP team in the league this year will not score any runs? I have a feeling they will score runs, but it won't be alot. Pettit will do his job, as will Lowe, but pettit will be better.....I hope not, but I think he will...

Having said that, you can't keep Mueller, Ortiz and

If Pettite is actually able to pitch well and consitent, I don't think that the Sox will be able to score any runs. Not saying that they wont get hits, but they won't make the trip around the bases. Let me put it this way, unless someone hits a home run, I don't think that the Sox will score.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 8 2003, 04:37 PM

Clemens, Giambi, Hideki, Jeter are some one of the best in the Major League for their position, so how is that not, stacking (I think that is the name.) When all the good players are on one team? I mean you will never see the Expos, Indians etc. going anywhere because they can't afford the big boys, because of people like Steinberner.

once again, jeter was not bought. clemens, yes he is a great great pitcher, but i dont think he is very consistant from game to game. Hideki is an awesome outfielder, but i do think Ichiro is a better outfielder. but as far as left fielders go, he is among the better. hey, the expos had pedro, but couldnt afford him. and yet red sox fans say that they are a not a big-spending team, i think boston out bid the yankees. red sox have, im not sure, the 3rd highest pay roll. (i think)

yea, sure the the yankees have alot of money but, the red sox could of have had alot more money earlier if tehy built a new stadium with more seats like 8 years ago!!!!

pettite, i think, will do very well against the red sox. and with johnny damen out (one of the sox top hitters), pettite will have it a little easier.

i just cant wait for wells.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle+Oct 9 2003, 08:57 PM-->
Frankie P.
@Oct 8 2003, 04:37 PM

once again, jeter was not bought. clemens, yes he is a great great pitcher, but i dont think he is very consistant from game to game. Hideki is an awesome outfielder, but i do think Ichiro is a better outfielder. but as far as left fielders go, he is among the better. hey, the expos had pedro, but couldnt afford him. and yet red sox fans say that they are a not a big-spending team, i think boston out bid the yankees. red sox have, im not sure, the 3rd highest pay roll. (i think)

yea, sure the the yankees have alot of money but, the red sox could of have had alot more money earlier if tehy built a new stadium with more seats like 8 years ago!!!!

pettite, i think, will do very well against the red sox. and with johnny damen out (one of the sox top hitters), pettite will have it a little easier.

i just cant wait for wells.

again, someone who has NO CLUE about the Red Sox.....

lemme edumacate you my son:

1.) Clemens was always a great pitcher. Still is. When he sets his mind on pitching well, he will. He lets things get to him though and if he gets too revved up, he will overthrow. He is also scarred to be "the man" (see 1986 World Series)

2.) Boston DID NOT get Pedro from free agency, they Got Pedro after the 1996 season in which he went 300+ innings and threw 7 complete games. They traded Carl Povano for him straight up, because the Expos new they cvouldn't afford him. The sox were able to pull the trigger before the Yankees. So Boston NEVER outbid the Yankees for Pedro services. In fact the YANKEES have outbid the Red Sox at the free agents that the SDox were after. The Yankees weren't interested in Mussina tillthe Sox were, then Steinbrennar made sure Cashman went out and got him to keep him from the Sox. Go read up on it, its all in print.......

3.) At the start of the season, the sox had the 5th highest payroll, behind, NY, The Mets, Philly, and the Dodgers......

4). Stadium money is a VERY small portion of overall team funding. The Yankees get most of thier money thru the Yes Network, which if you don't know is a cable sports channel that you have to purchase in order to view games like the yankees on TV. With NY being the largest media capital in the world, with nearly 5 times more people, the Yes Network is viewed in more Homes than NESN (New England Sports Network owned by the Sox) and the local Philly station......

Besides this, the Red Sox CAN'T build a new stadium. Developers have been trying to get a new stadium built for the last 20 years. They can't renovate Fenway because of the geography around the park (streets, houses and apartment buildings, schools etc) and because of the foundation itself (to week after being nearly 100 years old). They can't move to a different site inside the city because of the limited land, and the refusal of the state to provide millions in infrastructure remodeling for basically a privatly held company, will not provide money for a ballpark to rent to a private company when we have the Big Dig central artery project going on which is the largest construstion project ever attempted by modern man and is coming in a whopping 600 million over the estimated cost. Developers have toyed with the idea of putting it outside the city, but a sport like baseball where you have 81 home games a year needs to be where the buisnesses are to attract people after work. You could never put a stadium outside the city limits because they wouldn't be able to draw the amount of people needed to sustain a healthy payroll that Boston fans are accustomed to....

5.) Streinbrenner has MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of family money to rely on, he doesn't need to turn as healthy a profit as someone like Sox Owner John Henry who just paid a record amount for the Ole Towne Team and its ballpark. Doesn't mean he isn't going to spend money to win, he has a mortgage now, he just isn't going to go crazy like Steinbrenner does to try and keep talent away form other contending teams......

6.) Wells has been lit up by the Sox every time he has faced them this year......

without knowing exactly what is going on, you really can't say that "Its the Sox Fault for not building a bigger stadium". There are many factors that go into a contributing team, the main one is money.....

wow, may i be the first to say i got OWNED. ill admit it, im not ashamed to say it or be owned. but i just dont see the why the red sox have to blame the yankees for everything bad happening to the sox. i will say, you are a VERY VERY well educated man about the red sox, and in some ways the yankees.

are you sure the red sox had a higher payroll than the mets!!!! i mean, all the mets have is not-very-good players. (METS stands for My Entire Team Sucks)

I think the red sox could ATLEAST renovate the damn fenway park, ive been there about 3 times this summer and ill say it needs some fixing up. i know they put in the green monster seats, but they need a little more than that.

but ill say it again, im OWNED!!

me :worthy: quicksi

seany... :owned:

I respect people who know shit like that. You're passionate about the team and you know what the fuck you're talkin about.

Back