Red Sox...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I love the Sox.... I have been following them since I went to my first game at 7 years old. I have met Jim Rice on a number of occasions and have been inside the Sox clubhouse for buisness (although it was work, it wasn't THAT big of a chore.... ;) )

Quick story that seems unrelated but not: Last October, I was at my grandmothers house, and as I was leaving, I decided to stop at my uncles across the street. He is a night owl, and is always up late. I saw the lights on, so I decided to just go over. As I walked thru the front gate, I see my aunt walk in front of the door towards the kitchen. I go up to the door and knock. As soon as I do, the lights go out. should I take this as a hint? So I try the door, and it is open. I peek my head inside, and say hello??? No answer. Thats odd. I step in side, shut the door behind me, and say again, hello? Just then the light comes on and down the stairs comes my uncle. He says, how did you get in? I said the door was unlocked. He says impossible, I locked it a half hour ago. I said, well it was unlocked. He says, I was in bed with your aunt, and I heard you calling. I said, sure you wre, I just saw her walk by as I was walking up. He says, Bill, I'm telling you, she is upstairs in bed sleeping. I said, Joe, I JUST saw her walk in front of the door. He said, you prolly saw our ghost. I said what? he said, lets go outsiude so I can smoke, and I'll tell you about it. So we go outside, he shuts the door, and clicks the latch. He then tells me of a ghost that they have in the house. This ghost is an older woman, who my little cosuins see all the time. She tucks them in the middle of the night, and watches over them, she has even said something to my little cousin who couldn't understand what she was saying. I didn't believe it, passing it off as bullshit, him just trying to bust my nutz. Just then, his front door opened. He said watch this, you know I clicked that latch right? That door can't open on its own. He says, shut it, and watch it will open again. I shut the door, click the latch, make sure its tight and step back. We go back to talking and 3 minutes later I am facing the door, I see someone walk by the window, and the door opened by itself AGAIN. Joe laughed so I walk in ,and there was no one in the downstairs. FREAKY shit. Well, needless to say, I stay clear of his house now....

What does this all mean? Well, I disn't believe in ghosts, till then. I never believed in curses, always attributing it to poor management. But you have to admit, that something is at work here against the team. whether its a curse of the Bambino, or whatever....I just hope they finally break it one year. Fans of the Sox who have gone thier whole lives without a WS championship like my grandfather, I think he deserves to see them win in his lifetime, being a die hard fan and all for 80 years.....

are you sure the red sox had a higher payroll than the mets!!!! i mean, all the mets have is not-very-good players. (METS stands for My Entire Team Sucks)

At the start of the season, they had a higher payroll then the Sox. I believe because the Mets weren't going to be competitive, they started dumping payroll. I believe at the end of the season, the Sox had the 3rd highest payroll.....

I think the red sox could ATLEAST renovate the damn fenway park, ive been there about 3 times this summer and ill say it needs some fixing up. i know they put in the green monster seats, but they need a little more than that.

Again, they can't renovate at this time, because the foundation can't take it. In order to renovate, they have to expand the actual dimensions of the park. To make it more comfortable for the fans, they would lose an estimated 7000 seats. Since the existing seasts are so small, they can fit more in there, meaning more available revenue for the team. In order to KEEP the same number of seats, they would have to tear down Landsdowne st, and buy off all the property and expand, and that is ONLY if the existing foundation could take the added weight of the new seats, since the old seats are just wood. Renovation is going to be out of the question until either one of two things happen:

1.) The Fenway residents stop protesting to keep Fenway Park as it stands today in order to save thier neighborhood from being over run by construstion vehicles in the offseason, froom having thier apartment buildings torn down to make room for a new stadium, to have less traffic (27,000 people per game is a HUGE difference compared to 40,000 wandering the streets after a pivitol mid summer game.....

2.) House speaker Tom Finneran either resigns or is booted out of office and someone willing to spend state money to help the sox build a new stadium....

i heard this little jingle on 100.1 the fox a few mornings ago... say it with a thick boston accent.

"Hey Red Sox, why do you break our hearts?"
"Rooting for you guys, surely ain't that smart."

"Starting the seaon, you're golden - by the playoffs, you suck!"

a few excerpts, i cant remember much else.

but i find it pretty sad that fuckers go out and tip cars over just because of a game. i understand it means alot to some folks, but thats childish. i dont care for sports, but i do watch a few pats games here and there.

if they win, good for them. its been awhile. B)

you have to be kidding me when you said hockey is like watching paint dry, shit I think bowling is a much faster paced sport than baseball mang...

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 10 2003, 02:50 PM
you have to be kidding me when you said hockey is like watching paint dry, shit I think bowling is a much faster paced sport than baseball mang...

Depending on the game. Normal season games like the Yankees or Sox vs. Baltimore or the Devil Rays suck ass..those games tend to be slow.

Great Baseball is played in the playoffs. yes Baseball has a speed all its own, but that is what makes it interesting. Nothing better than the nail biter of a game that is the bottom of the ninth, home team is down 4-2, have the bases loaded, 1 out, and there is a full count. That is unbelieveable baseball, and you actually have to watch a game to get into it.....

The main reason why people don't like baseball is because they have probably never played it. Once you play it, you know how hard it actually is to hit a 97 MPH Randy Johnson fast ball. You know how hard it is to catch a 120 MPH shot to third base, then throw the guy out a first. You know, how hard you have to think/anticipate what is going to happen next. Baseball is a game of inches and seconds, blink and you can miss some of the best play's in the world. What other sport, can lose a game, because you were half a step too slow. Don't give me football, you get blocks, a lot of factors go into that. What I mean, is the ball is hit in right field, the guy has a cannon, and the runner is the fastest in the league, you start running, but get tagged out, because you didn't take that extra half step you should have. It is a thinking mans sport.

A little Progressive Transition for you

Sofa --> Coffee Table --> Popcorn --> Red Sox

What is the progression?

Each one is more and more likely to be in front of the tv during the World Series.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Oct 13 2003, 10:15 PM

What is the progression?

Each one is more and more likely to be in front of the tv during the World Series.

bwuhahahahha :ph34r:

ok that was stupid. :p

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Oct 13 2003, 06:15 PM

What is the progression?

that is the funniest red sox crack i have ever heard!

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Oct 13 2003, 03:15 PM

What is the progression?

That's a damn good one. Too bad I didn't have that in my back pocket earlier in the playoffs.

And WOO HOO, they won game four. Now the entire series is a toss up. I think that they will win tomorrow, but I don't know if they can win in New York again. They might, but they are going to have use Pedro. I am still going to have to put my money on the Yanks. But I want the Sox to win, however if Nomar comes out of this slump, and comes through, the extra runs, might actually be there for the Sox. Like I said, too close to call.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 15 2003, 03:29 PM
Like there was ever a doubt. :)

<---- also happy that the Cubs got spanked

oh please, this thread was pretty damn quiet when the tied the series up........

Lets see what the Sox can do now that thier backs are up against the wall. They seem to flourish when they are backed into a corner, its gonna be tought, but if anyone could pull out a 2 game sweep at the Stadium, its the Sox......

Did anyone see the news footage of David Wells, just before the game last night? The Yankees bus was rolling into Fenway, and the fans wer eoutside rocking it, and trhrowing things at the players and yelling and screaming.....Welss thought that Boston has the best fans because of that little episode, saying that thats how fans should be and that New York fans aren't nearly as passionate as Sox fans are.........

Originally posted by quicksi@Oct 15 2003, 08:37 AM
The Yankees bus was rolling into Fenway, and the fans wer eoutside rocking it, and trhrowing things at the players and yelling and screaming.....

That's lack of class, not passion. :)

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Oct 15 2003, 03:39 PM-->
@Oct 15 2003, 08:37 AM
The Yankees bus was rolling into Fenway, and the fans wer eoutside rocking it, and trhrowing things at the players and yelling and screaming.....

That's lack of class, not passion. :)

not quite, mor eor less home field adavantage, making the visiting players afraid to leave with a win!!! :D

Back