redline and fuel cutoff...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

H22AdelSol

Sorry for goin n00bish on you guys but im not understanding redline pertaining to a motors RPM such as

example: redline is listed at 7200, fuel cutoff is 7600 when everything is working right.

is redline where its starting to hurt the engine by revving past 7200? I always wondered this. thanks...

Redline is when it's getting to the point where the engine cannot handle the pressure and heat. As the rpm rises, it produces heat, more friction, and more pressure. So just think of it as yourself, your jogging and then your running, and then your running like crazy, keep it like dat and see if you can keep doing that. our body has sweat to keep us cool like a radiator to a car, and oil to the car like water is to us. somewhat similar.

One of my friends had a H22 and he has his ecu rechipped and was running it to about 8500 rpms. Had the basic bolt ons no headwork or anything like that. Like EG18 was saying about temperature and pressure, if you upgrade those things you can run it higher and still be safe

The H22 can handle the revs. It's a very tough motor. With valvetrain upgrades, it could easily handle 8k on a regular basis. However, running an engine that high will obviously wear out parts sooner, and you are of course more likely to break something. I don't give a shit for the most part, since I could afford another engine if something went wrong. My car sees that fuel cutoff several times a week. :) That's not the best part of your powerband, especially stock. Get a nice catback freeflowing exhaust system and you'll be amazed how much better the power is up there. ;)

I can't explain it, but the fuel cutoff didn't work on my car before I upgraded the exhaust. I revved over 8k several times. Power up there was shitty, so I didn't do it very often. I added the header and catback, and my power increased a lot, especially over 6k. But at the same exact time, the cutoff started working. Now my car revs right up there, and bounces hard.

your motors power curve tends to drop sharply past certain redlines and thats a factor of many different variables (cams, quality of parts, etc.)

Back