Reduce unsprung weight via lighter brakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I'm planning on getting alumnium drums for the back of my CRX; question is what can I do/get to lighten up the fronts a little bit without suffering performance wise? Steel rotors or HF brakes(with performance pads) maybe? The caliper themselves seem heavy; can Wilwood Dynalites or something be retrofitted?

Carbon brake setups weigh only around 3 lbs compared to 11-13 lbs of stock rotors. . . . alothough they also cost around $3000

Buwahahahaa carbon rotors on a honda...that's a fun idea. maybe on a bike...dude, just get some lighter wheels and tires. Probably 90% of your inertia is going to come from them anyway. Remember, inertia is a product of mass x radius^4, so the farther out you mass is, the more effect it will have on the inertia. Forget the brakes. Deal with the rims/tires. Also, unless you have all wheel drive, having aluminum rotor in back is not really going to help you any more than driving with a little less junk in your car, or gas in the tank. You want to decrease the MOI on the drive wheels for better acceleration. Just work on lowering the overall weight of the car to get faster track times.
Forget about the rotors.

Edit. jimbo, those are sick... and price is per rotor set. so just 2000 per brake rotor. What a deal!
CCBrake-1.jpg

Back