refinishing wheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racintweek

I recently got a set of 90-91 CRX SI wheels($80 w/ 3 new tires), but they are in horrible shape. But not for long. everything will be done by hand and on the cheap. going flat black with a silver lip(maybe polished if i have the patience)
the paint is so thick most of the curbage never made it to the metal so that makes life much easier.

gallery_32920_538_38189.jpg

i am using a dremel for in between the spokes. the sponges are great, one is 150/100 and the other is 200/150. makes quick work on the lips.

gallery_32920_538_21477.jpg

this is how i got them

gallery_32920_538_43331.jpg

one wheel was halfway/half-assed prepped when i got it, you can really see teh layers of paint under there

gallery_32920_538_533108.jpg

a close up of the carnage i must undo. there has got to be 3-4 layers of maint on top of the factory coating. you can tell by the bubble no prep work was done when originally painted. (i know the pic is huge, so you can actually see teh damage)

gallery_32920_538_23242.jpg

these will be black with silver emblems

lots of work(~4 hrs per wheel prep time) and pics ahead. i'm almost done prepping one, had to stop for some grub.

Quoted post[/post]]
why not use aircraft stripper on the wheels? would be alot less work and alot less time spent on each wheel.

werd.....to me the way your doing it is more work than its worth. If i wasnt gonna use stripper or sandblast them theres no way id do all that work....strip em or blast em y0!

$80 + 16 hours labor... you should have just bought some good wheels to start with.
time=money.

i dont have a garage, i'm doing this on my balcony so cheicals are out the window. even if i used that there would still be nicks and scratches
to sand out.

and i have a lot of free time, i am now a stay at home dad.

my fiancee has stayed at home for just about 3 years, she said she wanted to work. i wasnt gonna say no to a vacation :mrgreen:

i got one just about prepped, the lip turned out ok. there are still some spots i need to work on but they look pretty good for only 200grit. when i get everything clean i'll go to something less harsh.

check out the new pics they are huge so i didnt post them

Back