Regearing a B16 y1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I have heard that gears from the b16 y1, s1, j1 trannies are interchangeble with gears from LS transmissions. I would like to get better highway milage on my b16....so I figured I could put the 5th gear from an LS.

--Does anyone know where I can get just the 5th gear from an LS tranny?--

Thanks.

I think this was asked last week, As far as i know, and what ive been told by a few people who own there own shop is. It can be done but i guess the teeth dont line up quite right. So there would some chatter coming from the gears and maybe a realiablity issue. If anyone knows for sure please clue me in, as i was thinking about doing the same thing.

Why not just save yourself time and money and buy a GSR tranny? I understand it has short 1st 2nd and 3rd and LS 4th and 5th as far as I know.

because we all are running cable trannies. I looked into converting my car to all hydraulic to use a type r tranny(and I'm not talking the hasport kits). The tranny mounts are different(at least in an EF chassis). besides, replacing a gear intesad of an entire tranny seems more reasonable in my case(not spaeking for anyone else.

im running a j1 with an ls 5th gear swap and i dont have any reliability issues at all

he might be talking about the 92-93 GSR tranny, but even then those are a very rare find and you really never know if it truely is a GSR tranny unless you see it come out of the car because it shares the same tranny code as the some LS trannies, and you could potentially be ripped off.

i have thought about swapping of the gears, and it seems feasable since you can do it with the hydro trannies, but myself i would just get a new tranny.

Can someone please answer my question!? WHERE can I get the gear? There are NO good scrap yards arround here.

Also, a whole new tranny doesn't really save me any money or time; it would cost another $1000 and I'd have to take out my engine and put it back in (unless they could get it to my house by march 11 when I start the swap).

Back