religion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by punkyjewster41@Nov 15 2003, 02:17 PM
its not about religion, its about your relationship with jesus, the rules of this world are stupid, follow gods rules, not the ones set by man.

<------ An atheist who believes that organized religion historically has been the cause of much strife, and cruel and evil acts. I do feel that we need to accept those who are different from us and to be kind to one another. My idealized version of the Bill of Rights would be that we should all have the freedom to do what we want, as long as we don't encroach on any one else's space or cost them money. So drink all you want to, but don't drive and cause accidents. Also, if you are an alcoholic, the rest of us don't want to pay for your liver transplant. Unfortunately, there are way too many of us around for this plan to work. We need less people on this planet. :(

s3fb6dcc6900c2.jpg

caddy2_black.jpg

"you best be steppin' off! This be the Mini-Messiah drank!"

seriously, everyone takes religion TOO SERIOUSLY.

you can believe in what you want. don't try to force-feed anyone what YOU believe in.

look at the middle east. people blowing themselves up because they think Allah wants them to kill everyone that's not their religion.

if everyone took stuff like that a little lighter, the world would be a better place.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Nov 15 2003, 07:07 PM-->
mattcalica
@Nov 15 2003, 05:55 PM
like i said in my first post, which started this argument, i used to be a hardcore christian. I soon realized though, that i was being sooooo closed minded. i think about it this way, if some guy in this day and age said he was a prophet speaking on behalf of god and he wrote a book, would the christian church allow it into the bible? i dont think so. so how can we trust the writings of other men 2000+ years ago? I DO believe that religion plays a important role though...it sets a moral structure for our society to follow...imagine the world without christianity, sure it caused a lot of wars and such, ie. the crusades, but without it, there would really be no moral backbone to follow. evolution does nothing but explain the creation of life, it sets no moral standards, so the world without religion would be a world full of chaos, in which nobody new what was right or wrong. so religion is very important.

Chirstianity cannot be given the credit for civilization. Humankind was "civilized" long before Christianity was born. The Japanese and the Chinese had "civilization" long before Christianity came to them. The Romans and the Greek were seemed to get along fine before Christianity. Much of early mathematics grew up in a Land that is still not Chistian.

i didnt mean christianity, i meant religion as a whole...i was using christianity as an example. buddihsm, taoism, islam, all those mmm's contributed to civilization as well.

Originally posted by Hexen@Nov 15 2003, 08:44 PM
I'm an agnostic.

I personally don't belive in a higher power because studies in science have lead me to far into a scientific explanation of the universe.

But I don't disgaree with people who do belive in something, as long as they do not try to force thier beliefs on me.
I am NOT in favor of removing crosses off war memorials or the 10 commandments from court houses because this country (the US) was founded by a group of highly religous people who drew up the constitution from what they belived in, which made this country strong.

:concur:

Back