Remember when ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Taka ran this same engine in his formula d car for 4 years.... to give you an idea, hes a self funded, grassroots dude in a national drift circuit, and a minuscule 40% sponsor endorsement from megan racing. you can bet your ass megan racing isnt paying the $60k for that engine.

btw, the OS giken trans is an FC3S turbo 2 RX7 trans, lol....ive had to help him change a few out. OS giken is who manufactured them for mazda, back in the FC days.

his wife, yoshi took this pic earlier this year. thats me and my son working in the pits with him at FD atl. bout the only time i get to hang out with him anymore.

working in the pits, you went to formula d and took pictures, end of story, wearing garage zero shirt, hasnt worked there in almost a year, still wears their shirt to every sort of automotive gathering

You two need to get together and hug your differences out.

working in the pits, you went to formula d and took pictures, end of story, wearing garage zero shirt, hasnt worked there in almost a year, still wears their shirt to every sort of automotive gathering

you wanna back that up? do i need to bring people to co-sign that me and richard helped him change an entire rear end out, disc to disc friday night, may 9th at road atlanta?

i guess me, john, and braiden didnt pit for doug van den brink last year either......jeez dude.

we wanna go into grass roots level detail? a few turner events following formula d, same weekends, usually mothers day, when taka helped me and huy change out his rack in the parking lot, or when he gave marlow an outer tie rod, so marlow could get home?

i swear to fucking god, you jasper folk fucking amaze me, all of you. youve known me 3 years scott, ive been in the toyota corolla scene going on 15 years......yeah, before you got out of kindergarden. all you kids in this itty bitty hick town think if you dont witness it, it dont happen. you met me about the time my life started to take a shit, a divorce from a 10 year marriage, my dads short comings of diabetis, losing both jobs, the custody bullshit with my kids. how many fucking cars did i have when you met me? how much shit have i went through in a downward spiral in the last 2 years? you dont know me, like you think you do. you know me from the last 3 years. go fuck yourself.

who was amongst the drivers that got called for the channel 2 wsb 5' o clock news for a drift presentation for live national television when the turner events were being canelled? i was. where were you? the comments "never seen shoob drift" im sorry, thats my fault? 2 million people in atl did on their tv's. how many events did i invite you too? how many did you come to? zero. its not my fault youd rather stay home get stoned and make up these fake fairytails to swell your e-penis to these people. who spear headed the entire save drifting in atl, turner events thing? garage zero, where were you? i was there. who stayed true to the platform theyve known for 15 years, all while you have followed every local trend and nut swung thru vehicles?

as for my shirt(s) i have 5-6. when you go to an event, its called representing. when im around the house working on shit, why grease up good clothes when these were given to you for that purpose.

dont start getting cocky and ass hurt because your being called out on all your bullshit lies you feed these people. the funny thing is, im not even looking for this stuff, im getting pm'd about em.

Last edited:
Incorrect. I was alive and kicking when these things were on the market. Hatches were sold at Toyota dealers throughout CT.

You may be thinking of sunroof models though, and the GTS. The GTS was a "This dealer got one" sort of thing, or a special order option.

research that....... not saying there were no hatches or coupes sold to either coast. east got majority coupe, west got majority hatch. most hatches found east coast are sr5, rarely a gts, but gts coupes are a dime a dozen.

I'm sorry, are we going toe-to-toe on classic Toyota knowledge ?

Market saturation for these chassis had no sales control. It was just a matter of orders taken. For a time, the east coast was full of hatches - But the import "beat the fuck out of it and trash it" scene dwindled the numbers. Same thing that's happened with all the hatches.

I'm sorry, are we going toe-to-toe on classic Toyota knowledge ?

Market saturation for these chassis had no sales control. It was just a matter of orders taken. For a time, the east coast was full of hatches - But the import "beat the fuck out of it and trash it" scene dwindled the numbers. Same thing that's happened with all the hatches.

lol, were having a similar discussion over here:

• View topic - How many AE86 are left in the U.S.?

: How many AE86 are left in the U.S.?
by Red » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:34 pm

I think the answer was "no one knows, Toyota threw out all the old paperwork."

But I strongly suspect the west coast got more cars. Remember, this was the mid-80's and you literally couldn't give away riceburners in the northeast, they rusted through from road salt. There was a big lawsuit about that and Honda led the ball with upgrading the ricepaper, ergh, cheapass sheet metal, and upgrading it to meet US standards with better rustproofing.

Then in the southeast US, again, you couldn't give away riceburners, they just weren't part of mom-chevy-cola-applepie. Hell, mine came from a dealer in the Carolinas who was trying to dump them outside their territory, because they couldn't give them away locally.

But in California...riceburner wasn't such a dirty word back then. So I'd expect more were bought, and the more that a dealer sold, the more would be allocated to them on the next round of shipments. And of course, rust wasn't such a problem. And the lousy AC and heating weren't such big problems. Riceburner AC just never was enough in Texas or Florida or points in between.

By the 90's, riceburners had pretty much grown up. But mid-80's? The Japanese still had a weak product, and Detroit still was certain that reliability and fit would never matter. These days...haha, right, fortunately the average car buyer still can't figure out the difference between the gas and brake pedals but meanwhile, the Korean twins have been stealing everyone's lunch.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S
This is because hispanics LOVE old Toyotas.

As far as the rust thing, The problem was never the steel involved : It was the rust proofing techniques that were allowed by international law. Up until 1990 the Japanese were not allowed "standing pools" of chemicals. This meant they had to spray on any rustproofing. It was also discovered that the 3 axis spraying machines simply didn't do that good of a job (And had to be upgraded and / or replaced by manual labor)

NATO still decides what chemicals can and can't be used in the process, but the Japanese are pretty up to the rest of the world in their processes. As well, most of the angular designs provided by reconstructionist English engineers also had to be replaced with more rounded bodies (A Jaguar lesson right there).

Oh yeah, most of these toyota designs, parts and engines are British licences - From WWII carpet bagging.

seeming your a celica man, you should be able to appriciate this one, a product from that "junkyard called a shop"

527584_475124215835340_2024876094_n.jpg

181109_475122949168800_1578798469_n.jpg

as for the topic above im waiting on more insight. we coered this in the old forum years ago.

As far as the rust thing, The problem was never the steel involved : It was the rust proofing techniques that were allowed by international law. Up until 1990 the Japanese were not allowed "standing pools" of chemicals. This meant they had to spray on any rustproofing. It was also discovered that the 3 axis spraying machines simply didn't do that good of a job (And had to be upgraded and / or replaced by manual labor)

Oh yeah, most of these toyota designs, parts and engines are British licences - From WWII carpet bagging.

thats why i look for an ae86 w. toyo-guard stamping. but again just about eery ae86 in the southeast is pretty rust free.

i can buy that on the engine, as well as some bodies, considering the aw11 mr2 was a lotus project that got abandoned and then bought by toyota.

and althought the 4age is a yamaha produced engine, it is a direct replica of a famous 2.0l ...........cosworth BDA twincam.
bill sherwood covers this here : Bill Sherwood's Stock 4AGE Page

an english man did build and patent the first 4 cylinder, it was a 7.6l built in 1912, under the rights of peugot. 1st one hit US shores in 1913.
bill also covers this here: Bill Sherwood's Engine Theory Page - Intro

Holy fucking shit.

I had a 76, and it died in a barn fire. I loved that car, from bumper to bumper.

For the record, I never made negative comments about the work that you or Dilbeck do / have done.

Holy fucking shit.

I had a 76, and it died in a barn fire. I loved that car, from bumper to bumper.

For the record, I never made negative comments about the work that you or Dilbeck do / have done.

77'.

and i know you havent. just throwing that one out there. like s30's?

554789_475121695835592_884802515_n.jpg

the owner of both those cars had a 76' coupe.

6857507727_cf3e5a50a0_o.jpg

it too, and that LS7 camaro were produced from the same shop.

Last edited:
77'.

and i know you havent. just throwing that one out there. like s30's?

Nope. Can't stand em. I know that people in the 70s were getting pissed off at them on the track (For annihilating them, of course) but I never saw the attraction.

They look as though they should do more than they do. That said, one of the top 2 fastest cars I've ever seen was a V8 swapped 76 in Colorado Springs. Talk about ballistic. And the hood closed too, which made it seem a bit cooler to me.

But I had a 78 for a bit that I was planning on flipping (And I did.. made like $100) and it didn't really suit me.

Nope. Can't stand em. I know that people in the 70s were getting pissed off at them on the track (For annihilating them, of course) but I never saw the attraction.

They look as though they should do more than they do. That said, one of the top 2 fastest cars I've ever seen was a V8 swapped 76 in Colorado Springs. Talk about ballistic. And the hood closed too, which made it seem a bit cooler to me.

But I had a 78 for a bit that I was planning on flipping (And I did.. made like $100) and it didn't really suit me.

yeah, 78.5 (celica) introduced the weird body style with the rounded hood tip, weird looking specimens to say the least. never really been an s30 fan myself.

as for the s30, just threw that up too. i feel that it, and the 2000gt, really ripped of the e-type.... hard. kinda goes back to your previous "english" statements.

Last edited:
I've owned 18 78-81 Celicas :)

You think the 2000GT was bad... ever see a first year Camry ? I'll go back to trying to finding some pics of it. I saw it in a magazine from 1962. It's a Jag Mark2.

Even the Toyota inline 6 and V12 motors are direct copies of Jag motors. Look closely on a 22R, and you'll see the scrubbed-out MG logo.

Wait'll you compare the RB datsun engine to the Dodge Slant-6. Whoa, nelly.

kinda like a 3tc, and "half hemi".

wait.....22r is in the family of the 20r, 18rg, 2tg, 2tc, 3tc and 3tgte. inline 4's ranging from 1.6l eco and performance to 2.2's. MG had a 2.2l? it had to have been the size of the car itself, lol. funny though, 4ag's are very common bolt in MG restore swaps.

however, i did have an 83' xj6 (pre ford merge) when i was 15. me and my step father picked it up for a project, that went no where. but thinking back, the toyota 5mge does closely resemble that jag inline 6. but, displacement is way off.

Last edited:
MG had an 1800. Toyota increased displacement to mount it into trucks - The first of their sales that launched them onto the world market. The early 70s saw their tiny little trucks making world market into the oil embargo countries. The Pacific market already had utes so the impact wasn't as big there as it was in North America and Europe.

Back