Removing Power Steering

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

street_racer_271

adrenaline is my high
Hey I know this has been mentioned a few times, but I need to know what all has to be removed. First, do I need to buy one of those kits? Second, if I remove all the hoses, pump, resevoir, etc, is my rack and pinion going to sease? Do I need to remove the control unit? Do I need to swap the steering set-up from a non-power steering civic? Any help would be great, oh and the vehicle is a 93 Civic with a B18C1. Thanks in advance, and pics would help too

Loop your hoses into a vented catch can, make sure the steering rack is full of fluid, then remove everything else associated with the power steering system. The breather can will allow you to keep the faster ratio power rack without working against a locked up power steering system.

Would a GReddy Oil Catch Can work? it doesn't have a breather, but how important is that anyway?
greddy_oil_catch.jpg

The breather is important to make sure that you don't build up pressure in the system. Just the catch can on its own will help a LOT, and you can always drill the top and add a vented filter to it later if you want. The 2 main goals you want to achieve are to keep pressure in the system as low as possible, but not allow the system to get clogged up with air bubbles or run dry. You want to plumb your catch can such that you're always keeping fluid in the steering lines. Running the lines into the bottom of the can or at least to a point where there's always fluid going to them (no air) will do that.

Back