Removing power steering

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stealth2

hey eveyone,

I have a 95 Civic EX that came factory with power steering and I'm installing a B18C into it. Now I like the feel of a car with no power steering over a car with power steering and I would like to remove the power steering from my car. My question is if I want to do this, do I need to buy a non power steering rack or can I just not run a power steering pump or lines and use the steering rack that's in the car now?

I wondered this same thing, but I was told you had to buy a manual steering rack. I don't know if that is true, but I haven't really researched it either.

Sorry man, I have no idea...and no one else seems to care. lol

Yeah...I swapped a j-spec b16 into my del sol. I wanted to do away with the powersteering, but wasn't sure if the rack could handle it. I just left it on. Took the a/c off, though.

im not sure im still trying to figure it out but, you gotta plug one of the line and loop the other two. as soon as i figure out which ones you need to plug and which ones to loop.

as far as I know you can... but it will be much harder to steer than a non-power steering car. Its not recomended, but it is possible. ( i think)

I just took the belt off mine. Works mint. Alot more stable at high speeds and just cruising. Takes some forearm to turn when not moving. So far it has handled it pretty well. I never took the unit off, but just toke the belt off. I will be removing it fully when my sir II goes in ;)

take the pump and the belt off thats all you need to do just leave the bracket i just did this last week

I've been told that if you use the stock rack then it can lock up on you. Never had the experience myself but could happen I guess. I'd get a manual rack.

After doing some research I have come to a conclusion. To use the ps rack, you can...either just take off the belt and leave the unit inplace(will work fine)...or if you want to remove the whole unit, you have to take the line going IN and the line going OUT and loop them back. Search around you will find info on it. If u run dry, the piston in the rack and a couple other things will dry up and then...lock up = not good while driving. You need to keep some power steering fluid in the rack and loop the in and out lines.

Makes me wish I was going to be in PA. I have looked for non-power racks and can't seem to find a supplier. Where did you get yours?

I got lucky if you want to say that. My 95 coupe came with manual stearing and so did my 92 hatch. I bought a power stearing rack of e-bay but I need a new sub frame that it bolts to since the racks are different sizes.

hmmm...I wonder if any of the del sols came with manual steering. Then I could just go to a junkyard and yank one off of a base model.

I got a manual rack off of a civic. It bolted right up except the bracket and bushing were a little sloppy. I ended up buying a manual rack bracket and bushing for a civic dx from the Honda store beside my work. I had to weld an extension to get the bolt holes to line up correctly, but it corrected the sloppiness. I've been driving on it for about 2 months now with no problems. My steering ratio is a little different, but that's a small price to pay to have a true manual rack instead of a looped power steering rack, which I never did...and think it's a bad idea. I know people will disagree and say there is no problem with looping the lines and such, but I have my opinions.

Back