removing suspension top hats

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

so I picked up a set of spring compressors today and went to remove the nut from the top of the shock piston and when I turn it with a wrench it just spins the piston as well
I was wondering if there is a trick to getting this nut off
If there is I'd appreciate someone sharing it with me

if what I said doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to clarify

thanks
Sean

There is an allen wrench on the top of the strut rod. Stick it in there, and with boxed in wrench, loosen the nut.

What I did (kinda dangerous, but whatever) I have an integra in my garage with nothing on it. I needed the top hats off the shocks that I pulled from that car. I bolted the top hats in place, and just loosen the nut until the shock shot off. I had some tarps to slow it down, plus I did not need the shocks. I just kinda keeped my feet out of the way, and it worked for all four. Since there is no LCA's to block it, it worked great. I wouldn't recommend this but i just needed it to be done.

yeah, I figured out the allen wrench thing about 5 minutes after I posted this last night.
so after work today I'm going to get them apart
and since I have a spring compressor I wont' have to worry about projectile shocks

thanks for the response

i just wrap a towel and duck tape it tight around the shock and spring assembly, and I have a hole in the towel for the bolt at the top, then I hit it with the impact wrench and pop she jumps, and is off. but spring compressor is the safest way.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 19 2004, 03:34 PM
There is an allen wrench on the top of the strut rod. Stick it in there, and with boxed in wrench, loosen the nut.

What I did (kinda dangerous, but whatever) I have an integra in my garage with nothing on it. I needed the top hats off the shocks that I pulled from that car. I bolted the top hats in place, and just loosen the nut until the shock shot off. I had some tarps to slow it down, plus I did not need the shocks. I just kinda keeped my feet out of the way, and it worked for all four. Since there is no LCA's to block it, it worked great. I wouldn't recommend this but i just needed it to be done.

Hahahahahahahahahaha, that's great. We do that sort of thing with the .50 cal recoil springs.

Slightly safer with no chance of rebound off the concrete (or pitting your garage floor):

Remove entire strut assembly
Lay down on ground with top hat towards you
Lay tire/wheel on ground in path of shock bottom
Put foot on spring and hat
Zap top nut off with impact
Shock shoots into tire, doesn't bounce back, spring/hat is held under your foot and doesn't go anywhere

That's what I do when I don't want to save the shocks.

I removed the ones from my old ones today, and the rears were so rusted on the piston shaft, that they didn't fly off. I put them in a vise and hit the hat with rubber hammer and watched them fly across the bay :)

Back