replace Cr-v B20Z engine help (swap)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crvmichaelb

I have a 2000 Cr-v with a B20Z2 engine. Like other B20's the valves have blown, and probably the head gasket now too. I want to replace the engine myself to save money. I want to swap it with an engine which is easiest to do. Since my B20Z is USDM, do I have to replace it with another USDM, or will a JDM motor fit the same? Does JDM use metric and USDM use imperial system still? Also, am I able to put the lower compression B20B (from US and japan manufactures engine 97-98) into this car? I read that I woud have to replace the oil pump and something else minor... to do this. I know the B20 engines have been known to fail because the valves need to be adjusted every 100k or so, or they tend to get misaligned and cause deteriorating engine problems. Also, does anyone know if I am able to put an acura integra engine into this 2000 crv, and are the modifications needed. I do not have much mechanical experience and what to keep this engine replacement very simple.
so, please, if you can help me, what would fit, and what are the differences between a us/japan engine, and older B20b vs. B20Z engine... (i know the japanese version of B20Z is called B20B still, but has the higher compression, and horsepower).
So, if i were to put in a 97' or 98' low compression in, woud that engine run off my computer which tells it to behave like a 2000, higher compression engine, and would that be bad fo the new 97' engine installed? in other words, to avoid any mods, is it best to stick with only the 146 hp newer engine, and will the jap. version work?
thanks.

If it's just the head, just get a new/used head. An ls head will fit as well (just make sure its from an obd2b car ('99+) You don't wan tto mix/match the years, otherwise you'll get into a wiring mess.

LS heads can be had for $100 or so. No point to do a whole engine swap.

If you want, you can also do a vtec head conversion, and pick up 50 hp :)

I agree....if you are SURE its the head, get a OBD2B LS Integra head and a new gasket. Your Intake Manifold will mate right up.

But if you are not sure if its the head or the block....you can get a JDM motor (try to find OBD2B) but you should still use your USDM Intake Manifold. I know on my OBD1 JDM swap, the IM's in Japan do not have a Evap Purge Solenoid (but USDM does).

I would also remove the motor/trans together and mate the new stuff out of the car then put it back in. But that is just me. I hate being bent over a fender for hours and if you need to swap out the whole longblock....its easier to get the trans off and back on when its out of the car.

My question is quite similar.
I have replaced the B20z in my 2000 CR-V with a JDM hi-comp. B20b.
Mechanically, the swap went pretty smoothly, once we figured out the CKF sensor situation, and I have since properly done the wiring jump-out to solve the P1337 code.
Problem is, the car still runs like crap, idles terribly low, wants to stall, tough to get to rev up, and when I do, and come off the gas, the car wants to stall again. Most times, I can go WOT and the car won't rev up...
Any thoughts? No other CELs.

None of the information I found online said so. It all talked about how, because you're swapping a JDM (without CKF sensor) into a USDM car, that the stock ECU will throw P1337 code until you jumper the specific wires, yada yada yada - that doesn't lead me to believe that it would require a different ECU.
http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309

None of the information I found online said so. It all talked about how, because you're swapping a JDM (without CKF sensor) into a USDM car, that the stock ECU will throw P1337 code until you jumper the specific wires, yada yada yada - that doesn't lead me to believe that it would require a different ECU.
http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309[/Q

Hello I just did a b20b swap in my 97 that had the b20b4 motor in it...what ended up bein your problem with your CRV still running shitty after you removed all cel codes?

Back