Replaced head gasket, still have a leak

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigBoulda

Hello out there.
I noticed a while ago, that there was a small dribble of oil between my head and block on the front corner on the distributor side of the motor. I assumed that it was the head gasket, so I ordered a new Buddy Club gasket, and a set of ARP head studs.
We took the head off (it was a bitch), cleaned everything off, and got all the oil off the head/block surfaces. Then we put the new studs into the block (using the ARP lube), put the new gasket on, and then put the head on, and tightened everything back to factory torque specs. After resetting the timing and valve lash, I started the motor, but the timing belt jumped a tooth, so I had to redo the timing, and it worked fine and ran fine.
But, there is still the same slight dribble of oil coming from the same spot between the block and head. It is a very slow leak (I only have to add a very small amount of oil every week or so. Maybe 1/4 quart over a month), but it is driving me nuts, especially since I spent a few hundred dollars and a full day replacing the head gasket. What could it be?

I'm willing to bet it's another leak. Head Gaskets have more issues than that.

Even if the gasket is broken on the coolant / outside of the gasket, coolant is still under pressure. More coolant will tend to come out than oil (And it comes out as steam). It's possible, but I mean look at simpler things;

Cam covers / distributor are a good place. Check to see if it's not coming around the engine from the back (It will flow right under the distributor until it finds the dripping point). Simpler .

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Aug 12 2005, 02:43 PM
Did you check that your block/head wasn't warped?
[post=539368]Quoted post[/post]​

It doesn't seem to be coming from the cam seals. I am not sure how to check to see if the block/head is warped (I hope they aren't). No coolant is leaking, just oil. And there hasn't been any oil in the coolant and vice versa. Thanks for the replies so far.

has the block/head ever been overheated to your knowledge? teh head could be slighlty warped and not sealing just right in that corner...I've seen it before.

but...I agree w/ ^^ Cel on this one...Its is most likley a cam/dizzy seal.

Also..loook into the seal/hondabond area where the vtec solenoid bolts to the head...if you have vtec.

yeah good point, you should ahve thouroughly inspected the head when you had it off. and to check if it is warped you can use what htey call a "Straight edge" its basically a piece of metal that is PERFECTLY straight, you lay it across the combustion chambers and if it isnt warped there will be no gaps between the head and the straight edge. lay it straight across the head and then lay it like an "X" across all 4 corners.

and since when has pulling off a honda head ever been a bitch, prolly one of the easiest heads to pull, well besides those old 3cyl spring heads! :p

Back