Replacing D15z3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Syntax

Hi, I have a '96 5 door Civic with the 1.5 D15Z3 Vtec-E, and I have been offered a complete (but wrecked) '95 2 door Civic with good motor for cheap money.

I was wondering whether it would be easy or hard to swap the D15B7 engine into my 96 Civic? I am new to this, but from reading what I could find I guess I will need to swap the ECU too, since my 96 Civic has the OBD2a and the 95 the OBD1, right? But apart from that would it be more or less a straight swap?

The reason I started thinking about buying the 95 Civic in the first place is that the gearbox in my D15Z3 is in need of replacement, but gearboxes are impossible to find at junkyards because the engine is so rare, and I was wondering whether I could perhaps swap just the gearbox from the D15B7?

From this page : 5 door chart it can be seen that I have the "1M" style gearbox now, and according to this page : 92-95 chart the 95 have a "S20" gearbox. Do anyone know if they interchangeable?

I would linke to swap the intire engine if possible and easy, but since I use the car for a daily driver, a gearbox swap might be a good temporary solution.

I hope somebody can help, it is not easy to find info on this rare D15Z3 :(

Alex

That list is screwy, they misprint B18C4 with D18C4 in the MB6 VTis, but anyway.

You should be able to just swap out the long block, by swapping your intake manifold to the D15B7 head and block. You'll probably have to find an OBD II non vtec distributor, because I don't think that yours will fit. Other than that, most parts are interchangable, so you should be able to piece it together pretty easy.

Basically, pull both motors out, and swap as much that will fit from your motor, onto the new head and block, then go to a junkyard and find the like year parts that you're missing.

Originally posted by stmotorsports@Jun 28 2004, 06:49 PM
WTF??
There's a D18C4??

uhh... that means there's a 1.8 D motor??

:eek:

NO, IT'S A TYPO

bro- did you just yell at me?
cause I was kinda just bein a smart ass about there being a 1.8L d motor...
(aside from the rumored d18** supposedly scheduled to be in '05 civics as per Honda reps, but anyways...)

as far as I know almost all d-series motors/trans are interchangeable. You might be better off just swapping in a trans- I don't know what kind of emissions requirements you guys have over there, but you might have to stay at least OBD2 so even if you were to swap in the B7, you would still need to track down an OBD2 ecu from an engine similar to the B7 (or an OBD2 version of the B7). Just like you can run an OBD2 B18B/B20* on an OBD1 P75.

Well good luck and let us know how you make out :)

Originally posted by stmotorsports@Jul 16 2004, 06:30 AM
bro- did you just yell at me?
cause I was kinda just bein a smart ass about there being a 1.8L d motor...
(aside from the rumored d18** supposedly scheduled to be in '05 civics as per Honda reps, but anyways...)

Well, yea, but it was like almost a month ago :p

I'm one of those people thats walks away and goes 'aw shit THATS what I should've said!'
:lol:

Back