1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Front ball joints

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by CiViC_SOHC, Dec 10, 2006.

1. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

Ok, so I have been redoing my car for A LONG time now and I have finally gotten down to the little stuff after putting my engine back in my car. I have a 1992 honda civic LX. I am trying to get the lower ball joints replaced. Now I rented a ball joint installer from Advance Auto and I am having some troubles getting it apart from the lower control arm. I gave up and I guess my buddy got it loose but was reading the Hanes manual and it said I had to take it to a dealer to get the old ball joint out and the new ball joint in, is this true or can I get it out myself and if so what tools would I need? Thanks.

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

You take out the retaining clip?

I did mine by myself btw; took like 20minutes for one side.
    [​IMG]
    you can see the retaining clip in this pic:
    [​IMG]

3. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

You mean the cotter pin? I took that out..the nut is off the end...but that tool you used..I dont' see how you got the tool around your hub. There is a small lip that sticks out the back of my hub to where I can't fit the installing hub (from the tool) on top of it...or did you take your hub off?

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

No not cotter pin. It's a round ring that you use snap pliers to get off(look on my second pic; it wraps around the body of the LBJ; you can see it up against the knuckle).

That lip; pry it out. That's what I had to do.

5. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

Oh, ok I see that clip now....and I can just pry that lip out? Just hammer it back in when in done then? Thx for the help so far!

6. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Yup. It's recommended to use a coffee can or something to hammer it back in. When you put in one side; then try to hammer the other side; it pops out. Gets annoying so just a heads up to use something with large flat bottom to keep it leveled.

7. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

its also good to take off that castle nut, flip it upside down, and screw it on a few threads so you dont mushroom the bottom.

8. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

Well, the front passenger side will be a problem..my dumbass decides to cut the threads with a sawzall thinking that was gonna help LOL..there is still like half the screw there so I think I will still be able to get it out...How did you get it to flip sideways like that? Will it spin around when I get it loose from the lower control arm?

9. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Flip sideways? I took out my knuckles to swap the lower ball joints. If the ball joint is still stuck in the lower control arm; jack up the assembly, stick a torque wrench in between the lower control arm and knuckle(try to make it snug), and lower the jack. It should pop the ball joint out of the lower control arm.

10. CiViC_SOHC

CiViC_SOHC Senior Member

I wish I would have known that before...my friend got it loose I guess FINALLY. The directions on how to change them are confusing as fuck but im sure I can figure it out.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted