Replacing head gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I decided to replace the head gasket in my 91 CRX HF in hopes that it is the problem, most symptoms are pointing to that.

I was wondering what gaskets do I need? I was told from someone who has done head gaskets before that its cheaper to get them separate, because they usually give you stuff you dont need in the kits.

And I was also wondering what all I should do while Im taking the car apart? adjust valves? change front main seal? valve stem seals?

the three gaskets you "could" need are the exhaust manifold, intake mani, and head gasket... you could prob also use a valve cover gasket...

exhaust and valve cover gaskets can usually be reused...

intake is tricky cause if it leaks it will over rev the motor...

as far as what to do while its apart... you need to remove the keepers and valve springs to change the valve seals, if you have the means to do it then its definately a good idea...

and if you're removing the valves you should prob go ahead and give it a DIY lap and P and P if you are capable...

and now would also be a good time to install a cam if you've gone this far...

I guess i failed to mention. my buddy suggested having the machine shop do the valve stem seals since they will b checking the head anyway. I know that I dont know enough to start messing with the inside of the head. And as for cam, Its a shame but this is just my work car. One day it will be a project, after I no longer deliver pizzas.... (when will that ever be?)

why a machine shop??

you can check the head for warpage your self...

using a valve spring compressor you can change the seals yourself..

and 10 bucks in napa or auto zone will get you the tool and the compound needed to lap the valves...

Back