replacing oil pump on lsvtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Taco15

I wear stretchy pants
alright. first off i dont know what oil pump i have. when i rebuilt the motor i had no more money for an oil pump so i put the one that it came with back. This motor was already built once by someone else. I did however change the water pump to a gsr one. so i had to use the gsr belt.
Questions:

How can i tell what oil pump i have without tearing up the motor again. gsr timing belt cant be used with ls oil pump can it?

A link or info on how to change oil pump since i just got a type R pump(just to have a piece of mind)

i just dont want to be using a ls oil pump with my lsvtec. thanks guys

I dont think you can tell from the outside... depending on what year it is you could tell i guess. the pre-96's didnt have the spots for hte crank angle sensor thingy... good luck dude.

yeah no shit. It looks like i'm gonna have to install the oil pump myself. I cant afford to pay anybody right now. I just need some tips and what to look for since i'm doing this with the motor still in the car

you're doing the oil pump while the block is still in the car? Fun. Here's a little step-by-step.

1. Pull Header b pipe to gain oil pan access.
2. Pull oil pan. remember to drain oil, lol.
3. Remove valve cover.
4. Romove crank pulley.
5. Remove timing belt covers.
6. Loosen the timing belt. Slip timing belt off the crank and move out of the way.
7. Slip the timing belt sprocket off of the crank. This may be a pain, use plenty of penetrant lube. PB Blaster works well. WD40 is most likely adequate. Oh yeah, don't lose the crank pulley key.
8. Remove oil pickup.
9. Remove oil pump.
Installation is pretty much the reverse, with the timing needing to be set somewhere in the midst of putting it back together. Make sure to clean the mating surfaces really well; I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the surfaces before putting things back together-you don't want any oil residue on any of the mating surfaces, not even the oils off your skin. Use Hondabond sealant - silicon grey works for somethings, but is not nearly as good. That's pretty much it.

Edit: Oh yeah, the oilpump doesn't involve the timing belt at all, so no worries about the timing belt not fitting after swapping to the ITR pump.

Last edited:
finally!!!!!!!!!!!! you come through again Mike. as soon as i get tim i'll get on it. i'm gonna have Andrew help me out. No i need to see if i can borrow my buddies shop so i can use his lift and tools. again thanks alot mike

no problem abel, tell us how it goes. it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 hours of work if you have everything you need from the start and are organized. The sprocket on the crank can sometimes be a little rusty or corroded, so once you pull the timing belt, hit the sprocket with some penetrant lube and just let it sit. I didn't do that, and it was a pain in the butt for me.

Back