1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reseting odometer..

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by eg6sir, Jun 19, 2006.

1. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

ok.. i was just wondering if there was a way to reset a civic odometer to 0 miles.. the main one with 228,xxx miles .. any info appreciated

2. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

isn't that illegal? haha, i have heard of people just removing the clear face and using a paper clip or something to turn the dials. try to find an old one to practice on, i don't want to get blamed for having a broken cluster.

3. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

it can be done but why?
    first off its illegal unless you specifically note that the car has an odometer discrepancy... but thats usually if you change out the odo etc...

i believe there is a clip at the far end of the numbers, you need to remove the clip and slide the numbers apart...
    they have little plastic teeth to count like they should, so if you force it chances are you will break the teeth and it will not work properly
    there is also a good chance you're gonna have the numbers not lining up right when you're done...

4. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

i was just wondering if there was a way to reset it.. dont wanna do anything major.. i'm over it..

5. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

If you take it all apart, the "axle" that the numbers ride on is melted into the gauge plastic. A soldering iron takes care of that. Then you get a drill with a big rubber bit (like you use to remove decals/pin stripes etc) and roll em back. Takes a steady hand and alot of patience Dont go too fast.. It is illegal to display the car as having less miles on it, but this isnt your point obviously. Get her back to zero, re-install, and melt it back into place with the soldering iron.

I did it one time just to see if I could. Took like 30 mins to get 50k off. long story short, i got the big drill and a bigger bit and went nuts on it, broke it to shit, and tossed it in the trash. I had just traded that cluster out for one with a tach so it was heading to the dump anyway.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted