Response to hunter's response

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
Lol funny title but:

It IS TRUE that no matter what a V8 obviously physically has more potential for power it's true no doubt about THAT. But, if you think about it honestly, Japanese inline 4's and inline 6's put out a lot more power per liter compared to American 4's and 6's, especially 4 cylinders. So in my opinion, if Japan were to make a true performance-based v-8, it would be the same in comparison to American v8's as the inline 4. Hondas, of course, if I heard right (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) put out more power per liter than any other 4 cylinder or any motor around. So I think it's safe to say that, yes, domestics ARE faster than imports for now, due ONLY to the size which physically can handle more power. But OBVIOUSLY Japanese engineering is just that much better than our own if their inline 4's and 6's are better, right? So what if they just made a humongous v8 and threw in some of their engineering? I think they'd be faster.

Any thoughts on this?

As I said before, Japanese engineering today, and back then was much more sophisticated, as were the Europeans. But keep in mind the original American muscle motors were not designed with fuel efficiency and driveability in mind.

With that said, today there are numerous Japanese V8's making well over 300hp, but mainly in sedans or trucks.

All in all, its personal preference. Back in the day, muscle cars were fast in a straight line. Thats all that mattered. As low-tech as they were, they got the job done. Dollar for dollar, you cannot find cheaper horsepower than with a 350, or a small block Ford. Say what you want about "H22 hatches, or k20 civics". I love them too, but a mustang with $3k worth of mods to it is going to walk away from a Civic with $3k in mods. Conversely, theres no way you could make a fox body handle like a Civic for relatively short cash.

I'm all about bashing how horrible most American designed and made cars are - but there is no doubt that before 1971, American muscle ruled every street in the USA.

As I said before, Japanese engineering today, and back then was much more sophisticated, as were the Europeans. But keep in mind the original American muscle motors were not designed with fuel efficiency and driveability in mind.

With that said, today there are numerous Japanese V8's making well over 300hp, but mainly in sedans or trucks.

All in all, its personal preference. Back in the day, muscle cars were fast in a straight line. Thats all that mattered. As low-tech as they were, they got the job done. Dollar for dollar, you cannot find cheaper horsepower than with a 350, or a small block Ford. Say what you want about "H22 hatches, or k20 civics". I love them too, but a mustang with $3k worth of mods to it is going to walk away from a Civic with $3k in mods. Conversely, theres no way you could make a fox body handle like a Civic for relatively short cash.

I'm all about bashing how horrible most American designed and made cars are - but there is no doubt that before 1971, American muscle ruled every street in the USA.

Tally ho, I concur!

Toyota makes V12s. They run them in cabs.

Japanese cars from the factory put out as much power, per liter, as american cars. It's all the same shit.

If you want to experience fucked up power to displacement ratios, get into bikes.

Word.

Just thinking about a 600cc making 118hp or whatever is amazing. They usuall have an amazing fuel curve at that are are still thirsty for power.

Why does everyone have a hardon for power per liter? All it is is efficiency and it's a poor rebuttal when trying to compare power ratings.

Horsepower per pound wins races.

Either way I still think the Japanese are more advanced and could make a faster V8 than us her in the US. And I think we'd have seen them if they didn't have a 280 hp limit over there on factory street cars.

The horsepower wars won't end with a Japanese V8. Chevy has some absolutely brilliant engineering in their LSx series powerplants & Corvette line.

Of course the "wars" will never end. If the Japanese came out with the fastest V8, there'd be too many Chevy guys huge pride in their American V8's and vice-versa aka the way it is now.

It's not even that. I can't forsee a street legal daily driven japanese V8 making 100 hp per liter being nearly as efficient or reliable as it's I4 counterparts.

Some guy built a 500whp 1UZ. Not stock, but heh, who cares. lol.

Japan has the technology, but they haven't really built a efficient performance V8(their V6s are better). The NSX engine are close to the 100hp/liter mark. The upcoming GT-R surpasses that and the older models were around 100hp/liter also, but 6-cylinders. The applications for the Japanese V8s are mainly luxury and trucks.

The domestic guys indeed have the technology to build some great V8s, it looks like they just want to improve on the engines instead of a complete revamp.

Back