Restrepo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah shit sux over there, trust me i know. i was in Afghanistan for 8months before i got shot and came home.

you want to have yourself a mind fuck
take a day and go to the VA
my gpa was in occupational japan during WW2 and i take him to the VA hospital every month or every other month depending on who's available to take him in my family
don't hear much about the war
but its always great to hear any story he has to tell
like struggling to get his job at the post office back when he returned home
and how hard times were in general

but the VA hospital will give you a whole new perspective on life

and my friends pops was in vietnam
he doesn't talk about it unless he's got a good shitter on
and even then he talkes in sentences and just leaves words and things out
you really have to pay attention to hear what he's telling you without him saying the whole thing out

never ask people what they're in for
and never ask a vet if they killed someone
and never ask a woman her weight/age

I wasn't impressed. Then again, I live it every day....

Then again, go volunteer at a JPED and actually make a difference to the people who gave their lives...

You won't understand until you actually go do it and see the care that's taken in preparing the personal effects for the families to see them. We'd go through laptops, cameras, journals, etc.
Defense.gov News Article: Fallen Troops' Belongings Handled With Care at Maryland Depot

Last edited:
i would also be one of the 98%

when i was in college i had a group of 3 guys i would always hang with and one had recently come back from iraq, Ed. the one time Ed talked about being over there my other 'friends' laughed cuz they thought that shit was hillarias. i wanted soo bad to bash thier heads together, they just kept prying. i dont talk to them anymore. i still hang with Ed now and then

i also lost a cousin over there, never really knew him. Christopher you will be missed :(

so i was at dinner last night. one of those benihana type places. asian dude cooking was talking to the guy who was sitting next to me. dude is in the navy and just got back from afghanistan. chef says, "you kill anybody over there"......guys response "i killed a goat".....

the asian chef dude just didn't "get it"...kept asking stupid fucking questions. granted, the guy next to me wasn't really a hard core military guy. i think he had some office job, but fuck dude. he JUST got back and wants to have dinner. STFU and cook the fucking chicken and onions.

you want to have yourself a mind fuck
take a day and go to the VA
my gpa was in occupational japan during WW2 and i take him to the VA hospital every month or every other month depending on who's available to take him in my family
don't hear much about the war
but its always great to hear any story he has to tell
like struggling to get his job at the post office back when he returned home
and how hard times were in general

but the VA hospital will give you a whole new perspective on life

and my friends pops was in vietnam
he doesn't talk about it unless he's got a good shitter on
and even then he talkes in sentences and just leaves words and things out
you really have to pay attention to hear what he's telling you without him saying the whole thing out

never ask people what they're in for
and never ask a vet if they killed someone
and never ask a woman her weight/age

Have you gone to any of the Veterans Day, POW/MIA events? I really enjoy taking part in those. Even at a tiny facility like the one I work at there are some pretty amazing stories shared.

Back