results of my first inspection here in cali..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seephor

Just got back from the station here in the valley in socal. To update most of you. I installed a jdm B18C motor in my 97 GSR. No, I didn't do it because I wanted it to be JDM but instead was a replacement for my stolen motor. So anyway, I had converted everything to USDM spec; at least I thought i did... Basically a few sensors needed to be added to the jdm motor such as the CKF sensor, Evap purge sensor and vtec pressure switch. ah the vtec pressure switch. I didn't want to spend the money to get the switch so instead I hot wired the vtec solenoid into the pressure switch wire. It's a common hack you can do if you don't have the pressure switch for the vtec. But dumb of me. I left the plug on the wire harness just dangling there. I was meaning to cut it and tape it up to make it look stock but somehow i had forgotten about it. I take it to the station that's located in pierce college. I'm not going to comment on the inspector here because I have to take the car back and who knows who can read this :p but I will once I get it passed. So they first did the emissions test and then inspected the o2 sensors, gas cap bunch of stupid stuff. As soon as he saw that the plug was hangng like that he calls me over and asks what it is. I tell him it's the vtec pressure switch plug which the jdm motor does not have. He goes well you know it's going to fail the insptection. I go ok... I told him it had nothing to do with emissions but they still didn't buy it. He goes straight out "if you had hidden it well I wouldn't have seen it but now I saw it" at which point I wanted to bang my head on the wall. I got the results back and it had failed one of the emissions tests as well. The 15 MPH NO test which has a max of 467 and I hit 500. The timing was a degree or two off as well. He told me to fix the timing, get the pressure switch and bring it back and make sure the car is hot. What can I say... It's gonna cost me a few bucks for the pressure switch vtec stuff and the problem now is that it has been recoreded in the computer so if I decided to go elsewhere they're going to definately check it. I got not choice. Anyone happen to have the vtec assembly for the b18c1 motor? hehe

Dang, you gotta be like Santa....check the list, check it twice. I'll be going up against the smog man in a month. Thanks for the tips and story B)

Back