Retiring Y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EG_squeegee

Clean Squeegee
Well, my y8 has been running pretty cruddy lately, got new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, ran ok for a bit then just has been getting worse. Rather then trying to rebuild it i'm lookin into swapping in a D15b with the 3 stage vtec. Ive done my research and it doesnt look too difficult for a beginner, but my question is about emissions and smog if it'll pass or not, and second will the p2p ecu work with this motor since i cannot find a p2j ecu anywhere, i found 2 on ebay for automatic transmissions, if anyone knows of any sources or has one that would be great.

You will not pass smog because that motor was never avalaible in the US and therefore is emissions illegal from that standpoint that it is not to say it wouldn't pass just a tail pipe test, but if you have strict emissions and they do serious checks you will be in trouble. As far as the ECU you shouldn't run an auto ecu if you have manual because you will throw cels for the missing tranny sensors.

So essentially there is no hope. I havent been able to find any Y8's with low mileage and the right price. And i will not settle for anything less. I read that in my state anything older then a 96 just gets a tailpipe check, while mine being the bastard 98 it is gets plugged in. Maybe i should just pickup an eg or somethin. Though i like my coupe alot.

I suppose i could. Even trying to find a usdm b16 with tranny is next to impossible as opposed to a jdm engine.

Back