reuse head bolts???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

okiewelder

Ok, I have a 95 civic with a D15b7 non vetech. I have pulled the head and it is getting milled so when I put it back on it will function correctly.
Can I reuse the head bolts or do I need to replace? I looked at my book and it doesnt say anything about it. I did a search and there are conflicting treads.
Thanks, Steven

your not suppost to but i have use some oil to lube them up before you put them back in

reason for not reusing them they stretch ,off setting threads and weakening the streghth.

what could happen if reused if you cross thread and snap one you have to get it out - wich might mean pulling the motor and having it pulled and rethreaded at a machine shop

I've reused head bolts over and over. I haven't had a problem but ya you probably shouldn't.

Just get some studs. They are cheap and reusable.

I've reused head bolts over and over. I haven't had a problem but ya you probably shouldn't.

Just get some studs. They are cheap and reusable.

Studs should never be re-used. Especially when they are not properly torqued. Bolts can be re-used.

I thought that was the point of getting studs. So you don't wear out the threads in the block and can reuse them.

In the original post he was asking if he could reuse his head bolts.

Studs should never be re-used. Especially when they are not properly torqued. Bolts can be re-used.

? Been building Hondas for years and that statement is as absolutely backwards.

Back