Rev limiter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I was wondering if hitting your rev-limiter then shifting was bad for your bottom end/ car in general. Ex: getting on your car through the gears, hitting vtec and shifting right after it hits rev limiter (because one was not paying attention, not on purpose, I know that some cars dont make enough power in the top end and that shift points are critical) I have heard different stories about this, some say that it is bad and others say that it doesnt hurt it at all, it's there to limit you from going any higher. Just trying to clear some thing up. :unsure:

Anytime you really push your motor, you're bringing it closer to semise. As far as hitting the rev limiter a few times, that's not what's going to kill it, it's just going o bring any problems to light.

Contrary to popular belief, a cars "red line" is not where the motor can safely rev to, rather, its where the power band dies off enough to demand a shift. Spinning an engine up to where its rev limited is neccesarily evil because its spinning so fast, I think its more so the jolting that most governors give to the whole drive train that tends to fuck stuff up.

:withstupid: overreving your honda engine isn't the part thats going to hurt, its the jolt from the rev-limiter being slammed on that is damaging.

Its all about revalotions of a motor. The rev limter is set to stop the motor when it has hit a piont where the motor can no longer spin it its own force. Its set so you wont blow the motor up. Check this you hit the throttle at a show to show everybody what you have you hit the limter repetadly its stoping the motor from going any further then it needs to. lets say your limter hits at 8000 damn think about it thats 8000 revalotions per minute(RPMS) damn thats alot to be turning think thats just what the cams are doing (thats where your rpms are read) the crank turns 180 degrease when the cams only turn 90 degrese so the crank is turning double thats alot. think if you had somthing turning that fast. when the crank has spun as fast as it can go it no longer has momentum to push it thats when its hit its reving limit ddddddddduuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh. :lol: thanks for the time

ya boy steveo

The funnest rev limters are the pusstangs there set at 3500 hahaha :lol: Why are they set at that becuse they have a V8 thats alot of stuff to be pushing. and you do have a rev limiter in the trans to its the same thing but its called a govener. wonder why??? duh its set by the manufactur to stop you from hiting that realy fast top speed.

wow. Mustanges do not have a rev limiter at 3500rpm. And its not because its a v8 can't spin fast safely either. BMW racing v8's spin to 12,000rpm with no problems. The only cars that redline that early are diesels. Most honda engines can safely rev to 9-10K rpm. Its not that you will nessisarily blow your engine (you could) its mainly about not making power after a certain point. The main thing to worry about at high RPM is the valvetrain not keeping up, and therefore causing you to float a valve (or worse, smack one with a piston). I also don't think that USDM hondas have speed govenors (at least I know EF's don't).

and this statement:
when the crank has spun as fast as it can go it no longer has momentum to push it thats when its hit its reving limit

is completely wrong. The rev limit is set by the ECU, and the max you can safely rev to is mostly determined by your valvetrain. Ever wonder why you need new springs and retainers for cams that make power up to 9k rpm? You need to make sure that the valves snap closed fast enought so that the pistons won't smack them.

wow....

you're thoughts are wrong...96civicls

For one I could probably spin my LS to 8.5k without a valve hitting the piston....it'd be pointless. If I build the head I can rev it to 10k...i just won't make any power past nine.

Mustangs do not have a 3500 rev limiter. They have a nuetral safety switch, where when the clutch is disengaged or the shifter is in nuetral it will not allow it to rev past 3500-4000. My old 97 saturn had the same thing.

Its all about revalotions of a motor. The rev limter is set to stop the motor when it has hit a piont where the motor can no longer spin it its own force

Also, I could have a motor spin at 15k if it was built correctly or just buy a bike and rev it to 10-12.. There is a point where the motor just can't spin any faster but that's not because it can't do it with "it's own force", it's because the accompanying parts can't withstand it.

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@May 7 2005, 11:43 AM
The funnest rev limters are the pusstangs there set at 3500 hahaha :lol: Why are they set at that becuse they have a V8 thats alot of stuff to be pushing. and you do have a rev limiter in the trans to its the same thing but its called a govener. wonder why??? duh its set by the manufactur to stop you from hiting that realy fast top speed.
[post=496284]Quoted post[/post]​

Mustangs are limited to anywhere from 5500 to 6200 rpm stock (GT models) depending on which engine and what's done to them. Many a people have bought a chip that allows them to rev to 6500 and can do it safely.

we didn't correct you because we love mustangs (i don't although I wouldn't mind driving one)..we corrected you because you were completely wrong.

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@May 8 2005, 11:40 AM
My bad you pusstang lovers.
[post=496559]Quoted post[/post]​

I' d rather be a pusstang owner than be an ignorant asshole. ;)

no joke, id go contract killin if someone offered me a Saleen S281-E....12.5 1/4 out of the box (ya dont have to tell me the 1/4 doesnt matter, but its a good measure of a car's performance)

My friend has this 88 hatch back stang gt and He built it up from the ground , The thing will rev to like 9 easily with no prob. It so fucken loud even at idle.Glug Glug Glug Glug. Its a built cobra motor with about 400 hp at the wheels. He plans on puting a vortec supercharge(thats in his garage) and 12psi for around like 500 hp and running a 10 flat (11.2 right now i think?) in a few months. I don't like mustangs to much, But my friend loves this thing i got mad respect for what he has done to that thing. He's in my car club; Midnight Dust!!!!! "You Just Got Dusted..."

Why the face, thats a fact. Red line in technical speaking is a shift point, not a "my engine is about to blow up point"

Case in point is the B18b. The factory redline is at 6900... can you run that motor into the mid 7's without hurting it, yea, but why, it has NOOOO power.

He's in my car club; Midnight Dust!!!!! "You Just Got Dusted..."

:huh: ... :roll: ... :lol:

Originally posted by wanderinman@May 12 2005, 06:24 PM
Why the face, thats a fact. Red line in technical speaking is a shift point, not a "my engine is about to blow up point"

Case in point is the B18b. The factory redline is at 6900... can you run that motor into the mid 7's without hurting it, yea, but why, it has NOOOO power.

He's in my car club; Midnight Dust!!!!! "You Just Got Dusted..."

:huh: ... :roll: ... :lol:
[post=498580]Quoted post[/post]​

Going to redline is almost too pointless. I generally shift just after peak power which is 7600 rpm. No point in going to 8 grand if your curve is starting to fall.

0474.jpg

Back