Rev limiting / VTEC cutout?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

theelemental

Ok, so I have an '89 CRX with a B16a (obd0, pr3 ecu) swapped in. I've been driving it for about 3 months, and have no CELs. This problem has been occuring ever since I got it, but it is not consisent. about 50% of the time, my engine will cut in & out of VTEC in 2nd & 3rd gear when I'm racing, and when I get to about 7k RPM, sometimes my power will drop to 0 (feels like rev-limiting?), or will bounce from none to some, none to some, etc...

other times it's fine, and will let me rev all the way to 8k with no problems.

I have never noticed a problem with revving 1st gear, only the higher gears. I have replaced spark plugs, VTEC solenoid, fuel pump, fuel filter, & distributor.

The next thing I was going to replace was the coolant temperature sensor. It reads fine on the dash, but it used to drop to 0 when I commuted over a mountain to work, and then gradually "heat back up" after getting back to flat ground? Kinda questionable, I thought, so that's next.

Let me know if you have any ideas, also, will a CTS for a 1994 del sol VTEC work on my 1st gen b16?
don't want to spend $40 on the wrong sensor.

Oh, I also looked up the ECU code, and it is for a manual transmission, not auto... someone thought that could have been it.

Thanks, Matt

Maybe you're not getting enough fuel flow at high revs? Throw on a fuel pressure gauge and check that out.

I Guess I could install a guage & look into that. If my pressure is fluxuating, what could be restricting it? Or maybe I should just run some injector cleaner through my tank?
The fuel filter is for a CRX HF. Fuel pump is walbro 255.

Thanks

i would replace the fuel filter. that could be limiting the amount by it being congested. i would also get the fuel pressure gauge just to check it and keep it on there until you get it tuned.

if you are having problems with vtec,it could be an oil pressure problem also. but i would check the fuel stuff first.

Back