1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reverse rotation ?

Discussion in 'Auto Multi-Media' started by dilbeckskate, Jun 17, 2013.

1. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Not that big of a deal really. On some of the older GP bikes that we used to have to start with a hand starter we could start them up backwards. Pretty cool, and HILARIOUS when you start one backwards and someone goes to take off in first and shoots backwards. Also seen it happen when a non-chassis-ground starter gets wired backwards. Equally hilarious.

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Yeah. Old news, not hard.

4. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

I think (and I may be mistaken, someone more in-the-know correct me if I'm wrong) that since B series engines rotate backwards from what most RWD engines do, you have to run them with the head flipped like that in order to make a 'conventional' rwd transmission work. This is why F20C's rotate opposite of all the other Honda engines, and why you can't (easily) swap an F20C into a FWD.

edit: Also, the two pictures you posted are COMPLETELY different. One is a reverse rotation setup; the second is a flipped head.

Not the same thing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  5. phunky.buddha

Yeah, the D, B, FWD F, and H all spin "backwards." You don't have to flip the head to run them in reverse rotation though.

6. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

I'm guessing flipping the head is the easy way and allows you to run off the shelf cams.

7. phunky.buddha

First thought is that flipping the head would cause all kinds of problems- have to cut pathways for the cams to exit, timing belt cavity, valve vs piston clearance, dowel pins, cooling passages etc...

8. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

and on top of that it doesnt increase HP or TQ, theres the possibility for a colder intake charge (dut to being able to route the intake plumbing straight from outside the car to the forward facing intake manifold) but thats not really worth the amount of money this costs.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted