*Review* Manifold, Gasket, MTF, Lowering Springs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Just installed an ITR Intake Manifold, AN-R Intake Manifold Gasket, Put Honda MTF in my tranny, and drove around on my new Neuspeed Springs.

Here goes my review...

ITR Manifold- It feels like I lost a small amount of low end power but up top from 6k-8k feels slightly stronger. Nothing major, just noticeable. I'm still using my stock B16 Throttle Body so maybe it's being restricted a little. With the amount of work and time it takes, I say the ITR Manifold isn't worth it unless you decide to go FI or run some aggressive cams with a ported head. I'm running ITR cams BTW.

AN-R Intake Manifold Gasket- The good...This gasket does exactly what it is intended to do and that is keep the Manifold from getting heat soaked. I let the car idle for 10 minutes, drove it for 10 minutes, let the car idle for a couple more minutes, then I went and touched the manifold and it felt like the car had only been on for several minutes. I could hold the manifold with no problem at all. I could never do that with the OEM Gasket. Now on to the bad... First, the material the gasket is made out of looks like plastic they make Hot Wheels with. The quality seems kinda poor but like I said earlier, it's doing it's job thus far. It didn't line up properly on the head :mad: it was off maybe 1/16th of an inch but since it's not too flexible, it felt like I had to force it on, not to mention some of the holes were sligtly too small to fit over the mounting studs. In the end, I suggest going with Hondata. The AN-R Gasket is only $35 and that is exactly what you get, a cheap $35 part :ph34r:

Honda MTF- I threw some new axles on my car and decided to go with Honda MTF this time around. Honda MTF is the shizznit. I had Synchromesh in it and i'm 10 times happier with the Honda stuff. This stuff made my 3rd gear grind almost non-existent and it's easier to get into reverse now. Using this stuff in my tranny is definately worth it to me. The synchromesh did work better than regular 10w-30 motor oil but the Honda MTF turned out to be the best so far.

Neuspeed Springs- At first the car didn't look low enough for me but now it doesn't look too bad and most importantly, they ride great :) I was running EBay Coilovers before and I must say these springs are a million times more comfortable and let the car handle way better. I'd suggest these springs to anybody with an EF.

Well there you have it guys. Once again, this is MY Review. I can give 2 drops of monkey piss what kind of experience your cousin's-uncle's-aunt's-sister's-father in law's hamster had. I am speaking about what I experienced.

cool stuff....i actually got an ebay copy of the hondata and it fits perfect.

The ITR was meant for use with ITR cams. I'm sure with a good tune, you'll appreciate the manifold a lot more. And it IS made for top end hp gains...I hope you weren't expecting a miracle of hp from it by itself. It basically keeps your motor's airflow from bottlenecking in the manifold. Anyway, like I said, put some tuning into it, I'm sure you will gain a few more, and smooth out the powerband. If you are using a pm6 for your ecu and ever happen to be up in pismo beach area, hit me up, We can tune that bad boy up a bit if you haven't already done so. I should have a chip burner pretty soon, so all you'd need to bring is a socketed pm6.

Anyway...Great review. I went with a hondata gasket, but I'm glad to see that yours isn't melting. Always a good thing. Honda MTF sounds good. Synchromesh cured up my tranny perfectly, but it never really had much of an issue even with the 10w-30 I had in it. Also, :thumbsup: to Neuspeed.

I'm suprised you got better performance from the MTF than from the Synchromesh. I was running MTF and switched to Syncromesh and my tranny is MUCH smoother now.

Quoted post[/post]]
You're running ITR cams, do you have the Springs/Retainers too?
nope :ph34r: lol It's ok as long as I do not go higher than the stock redline of 8200. I don't take it past 8k anyway.

Quoted post[/post]]
The ITR was meant for use with ITR cams. I'm sure with a good tune, you'll appreciate the manifold a lot more. And it IS made for top end hp gains...I hope you weren't expecting a miracle of hp from it by itself. It basically keeps your motor's airflow from bottlenecking in the manifold. Anyway, like I said, put some tuning into it, I'm sure you will gain a few more, and smooth out the powerband. If you are using a pm6 for your ecu and ever happen to be up in pismo beach area, hit me up, We can tune that bad boy up a bit if you haven't already done so. I should have a chip burner pretty soon, so all you'd need to bring is a socketed pm6.

Anyway...Great review. I went with a hondata gasket, but I'm glad to see that yours isn't melting. Always a good thing. Honda MTF sounds good. Synchromesh cured up my tranny perfectly, but it never really had much of an issue even with the 10w-30 I had in it. Also, :thumbsup: to Neuspeed.
I actually have a socketed pr3 that I am running. Wil burned me a chip twice using BRE and they didn't work. They made me throw a constant CEL and the car wouldn't rev past 3200. He tried burning me a stock ITR map which would probably be better than the Mugen program i'm running now. I wasn't expecting a lot of power from the manifold. I was just expecting a little more of a power increase that I actually got but every motor is different so i'm not really stressing it too much. I'm sure it'll open up a little more when I get a bigger throttle because when I open the throttle plate, I can actually see how much smaller my stock B16 TB is compared to the opening in the manifold. Think you can burn me a program using TurboEdit? Wil doesn't have his burner any more since he moved.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
watch out with the cheap stuff. there have been reports of some of them melting...
actually, the material itself seems strong enough to the point where it won't melt. Just the quality of the cuts was pretty poor.
i was more saying that towards the guy who said he had an ebay one.
oh ok :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm suprised you got better performance from the MTF than from the Synchromesh. I was running MTF and switched to Syncromesh and my tranny is MUCH smoother now.
Yeah, I was surprised too. At least I found something that helped me :)

Quoted post[/post]]
What Neuspeed springs did you get?
I believe they are the Neuspeed Race Springs. I actually traded for them with my EBay coilovers. I think I came out on top don't you :laugh: They are yellow, if that helps figure out what version they are lol I hear the sports are green but IDK :shrug2:

Quoted post[/post]]
Are you running stock struts with those springs?
believe or not, yes I am. Brand New Stock Gabriel Shocks from Autozone. I know, I know, I could of bought some KYB's or some Tokico's but I bought the Gabriels like 4 years ago for my 89 4 door, they have a lifetime warranty and they fit my CRX :) The springs feel real nice even on these stock shocks.

Quoted post[/post]]
I actually have a socketed pr3 that I am running. Wil burned me a chip twice using BRE and they didn't work. They made me throw a constant CEL and the car wouldn't rev past 3200. He tried burning me a stock ITR map which would probably be better than the Mugen program i'm running now. I wasn't expecting a lot of power from the manifold. I was just expecting a little more of a power increase that I actually got but every motor is different so i'm not really stressing it too much. I'm sure it'll open up a little more when I get a bigger throttle because when I open the throttle plate, I can actually see how much smaller my stock B16 TB is compared to the opening in the manifold. Think you can burn me a program using TurboEdit? Wil doesn't have his burner any more since he moved.

If you sell that socketed pr3 and get a socketed pm6, I'll custom tune you up with turboedit and my wideband. I'll be getting my burn 1 in about a month or so, so yeah. I don't think the ng55 code works with a pr3 very well, but we could try it out when I get my burner. But get a pm6 and I'll tune you up good. We can talk later.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

If you sell that socketed pr3 and get a socketed pm6, I'll custom tune you up with turboedit and my wideband. I'll be getting my burn 1 in about a month or so, so yeah. I don't think the ng55 code works with a pr3 very well, but we could try it out when I get my burner. But get a pm6 and I'll tune you up good. We can talk later.
hmm...you can convert the PM6 to run VTEC? If that is the case, I have a socketed PR4 we could use. That's pretty much the same as the PM6.

Quoted post[/post]]
Were you using regular syncromesh or friction modified syncromesh before the MTF?
I was using regular synchromesh. According to everyone I talked to, the friction modified stuff is for LSD and since I don't have LSD, it would of been a waste of time and money for me.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
What Neuspeed springs did you get?
I believe they are the Neuspeed Race Springs. I actually traded for them with my EBay coilovers. I think I came out on top don't you :laugh: They are yellow, if that helps figure out what version they are lol I hear the sports are green but IDK :shrug2:

Yep, those are the Race. I have those on my '91 Si and I absolutely love them. :thumbsup:
Shit me too, I never realized how much a difference good quality springs are, even on stock shocks. I've had nothing but cheap coilovers on all my rides. Now that I am older, the bouncy shit became stupid and just plain annoying.

Back