Rewire my car? (shoddy wiring)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luciusad2004

Hey guys, I think this is my first post here so I guess ill mention a little bit about my car and my current situation.

I recently purchased and EF hatch which the previous owner had swapped a b18a1 in to. I was very hesitant to buy a modified car but the thing has almostno rust which is increasingly difficult to find up here in the rust belt, so i went for it. I'm still not sure if i regret it or not. I don't know much about Hondas or tuning in general, I decided to purchase a Honda because i figured the HUGE aftermarket and immense popularity would make it easier for a newbie to learn to wrench on his own and get help when it comes to the finer details of tuning. However i've run in to problem after problem with some of the previous mods and the fact that my car is a strange Frankenstein like monster of civic/integra parts really pisses off mechanics when I take it in for the work i can't do at home.

I'm not sure what sub model the car is. My suspicion is that its the STD but all i know is that it was one of the models with DPFI as the MPFI has been wired in, which leads in to my question.

I don't know much about Honda wiring (or tuning in general as mentioned above.) I was looking at the wiring work and it just looks iffy to me. There are a number of cut wires hanging loose down by the ECU plugs. A couple of wires are jumped between two pins on the ECU end of the harness and the soldering on the MPFI wiring doesn't look the cleanest (I removed some of the electrical tape to make sure it WAS soldered as a number of the other mods in the car involved wires just twisted together and Taped over. The MPFI wires ARE soldered) A lot of it just looks really shoddy and even a number of places wear the wires are so worn out that they have come bare.

BUT, the car runs. Do you guys thing I should really worry about the wiring? I was considering the possibility of purchasing an entire new harness such as the Rywire milspec replacement harness. I've run in to numerous Mods that were just completely half-assed from suspension, to the engine and electrical, to audio mods. I just want to make sure my car is safe and reliable before I try to tinker with it more. I thought about downloading some wiring diagrams and trying to figure it out myself but the harness is already pretty hacked up and modified, not to mention that I wouldn't really know what I was looking at.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

Welcome to Hondaswap!

Get yourself a factory service manual and learn how to read the wiring diagrams. That will allow to to figure out what the ghetto rigged circuits go to. After that, find a good dpfi to mpfi conversion guide and re-do the wiring the right way. Get yourself a soldering iron, different colors of the correct gauge wire (always easiest to keep wire colors consistent with factory.), also get heat shrink tube, and some quality 3M e-tape. Wiring IS NOT rocket science.

Thanks for the response! I was thinking of doing that but I guess i was just afraid to dig in to an already mutilated harness. It's also my DD so i didn't wanna mess it up.

I have browsed through a number of MPFI wiring guides and it really doesn't seem that hard. From everything I've read the MPFI should be the ONLY thing that needs to be wired up for my swap(b18a1) yea?

Would I want a service manual for My EF or for a DA teg? The b18a1 is out of a DA right? Would I want both service manuals?

I've never soldered but my buddy has a soldering iron and i watched him do it when he extended the wiring harness for his Lexus. It doesn't look that hard.

I supposed if it's really not that hard i could save a lot of money buy doing it myself, not to mention I would probably learn a lot, which as i stated was one of my goals when i purchased the car.

Thanks again, sorry for all the newb questions.

Anyone have any other input or info on which service manual i would need?

Get 'em both. I can't remember where exactly I got mine but there all available free for download onda net if you look hard enuff. Information is power!!

Back