Rex's D16y8 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

grind the welds down and they wont look so ugly..
but lets see a pic of them,,hell as long as they hold the gases then fuck it

grind the welds down and they wont look so ugly..
but lets see a pic of them,,hell as long as they hold the gases then fuck it

It looks like the welder puked all over it. :( I did it w/o a argon tank, all electric is poo. I will be upgrading someday when it's finally all put together.

DSC00098.jpg

Last edited:
holy dick beans, that looks like some kind of horrible infection : |

^what he said

lol thats why you should have practiced on an unneeded piece..so you could get the settings right as well as getting used to what your welding

ahh, it's been a while. I have been working a ton lately so I have enough cash saved back to support my habit. I may be ordering the custom length rods and vitara pistons tomorrow. The distributor has a facility in Amarillo, Texas so I am going to call them and see how long it will be if they are even making these anymore. I got the dial caliper to deck the block but I will need a good micro grinder. bought a reducer for the intercooler to turbo. urm... I am thinking about buying my friends hatch here: 93 civic hatch I am tuning it for him sometime this week so I will get a hands on and see why it's running like crap and if it's worth the 2500. If not then I will probably buy a cheap 4-door beater civic to sport as a DD and swap everything into the Rex until I can find a worthy shell. Gotta Love income tax. ^_^

get it and run the turbo b16..or get it and pull the b16 for a build and throw the turbo single in it..

Well Damn! I took my Moates burner and my crx to his parents house tonight and could not figure it out. It has no intake pipe/filter on it and I have never heard of Dark Star Cam gears, he doesn't know for sure what cams it has but the lope on it was a mile high lol. He was running a po6 ecu with a "mugen" *probably ebay* po6 chip. Isn't the po6 for a single cam? He had a spare p28 without even the stock chip in it and a p30 with no stock chip or aftermarket even. His mugen was not rewritable so I just took the one out of my crx and burned it real fast. slapped it in his po6 and it started to idle as if it had stock cams or something. I used a stock p30 basemap setup for a manual trans but he didn't really try to drive it. I was wondering if the map on my chip would even help since it was in the po6 ecu socket. I may try to find a b16a1 map for his p28 and solder a chip in for him but where could I find one for a b16a1? Dual Cams are new to me so I don't know how to tune, especially with the cams. argh! I want to see this car running for him. He has kids and needs it running and he is a really good guy. I am buying him a chip from xenocron tonight. thnx He wants to hold on to the car but if all else, I will just buy it from him and maybe sell it back someday.

Eeek! It has rod knock too. I ordered 5 chips from xenocron and now I have like ten people asking me for a tune, fuck. I need a dyno, anyone want to donate? BMS maybe...? Man, it's a clean shell and some good parts but just a poor build and tune. I do have some good news on the other side tho!

I FINALLY ORDERED THE CUSTOM RODS AND VITARA'S! damn caps lock.

Anyways I received an e-mail that they were in stock so I snatched those suckers up. Once they do mail them it should not take very long, because I am close to Texas. I went with free shipping so it may be a day or two longer but it's just more money I can save back for a cam. ^_^ I have been working my skin off and got another busy day getting ready for shooter school *pyrotechnics* tomorrow so I'm gonna crash. Just a lil' update. L8er

well forget the tune on that rod knock lol..he needs a new motor..because the one he has sounds hacked together

Bummer, I was kinda thinking that but he knows it's knocking. I don't think it's a timing issue. Just stock rods and everything else is aftermarket from who knows where. I will try to give it some kind of tune if he can fix it.

I know I drew the ordering of the pistons & rods out a little but I want everything to be perfect. Plus I am copying off all the top results for the D Series because it seems they have had the best luck with numbers and E/T results. Craigslist is my best friend right now, looking for a cheap hatch for a DD so I can toss the crx and then another hatch for the swap. lol I am tired of rusty cars... No Offense Mater :(

Mater-and-the-Ghostlight-pixar-1024937_1024_576.jpg

Haha, maybe I will part it out if I find something. I just spent 2 hours beating a busted y8 with a hammer trying to release the crankshaft. The spare was demolished. It looked like it had spun a bearing and then one of the pistons went too far down the cylinder and the rod cap was completely gone and the rod was broken in half. I was hoping to salvage the block and possibly the crank for my next build but i am not sure now. where the bearing should have been it was completely black and looked burnt up pretty bad. Oh and the girdle was broken in half somehow too. Maybe some pics of it later. I have to go find me some band-aids. I should have invested in some mechanics gloves but I still can't call myself a mechanic yet. :(

Nooooo! I just received another e-mail from FJ Distributors. Now they are telling me it will be the second week of March before they have the Custom Length Rods and Vitara Pistons in stock. I call bs! I told them I would wait if i was insured to have dibbs before anyone else ordered them. Idk Waiting sucks but I will just have to work on the head I guess until they come in the mail. Bummer.

Last edited:
Back