Rex's D16y8 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yes but theres some wierd stuff you have to do..its not hard at all

Cool, well I loaned my Camera to friends having a baby, so as soon as they get out I will be able to post more pics up lol. Hopefully good ones, I have been wanting to capture video of my nasty 2-step but there will not be much progress until I get some extra cash flow.

Well my friends made it out of the Hospital okay, So I will be updating with more Y8 Goodies soon but untill then, here are the images from my last build! My Old D16Z6... We ended up swapping this into my buddies crx and selling it, you can see it in one of the pictures. Enjoy:

z6_1.jpg

I bought my old civic off of a friend after 250k miles and a spun bearing.

z6_12.jpg

Don't judge me, my friends got bored with the spray paint.

The Bay

z6_13.jpg

z6_2.jpg

z6_3.jpg

z6_7.jpg

z6_6.jpg

z6_4.jpg

z6_5.jpg

Honed the Cylinders. I am a clean Freak when it comes to my engines...

z6_8.jpg

Head -

z6_9.jpg

Complete:

z6_14.jpg

z6_11.jpg

I Riced out my Dizzy, but it was cool to watch at night!

z6_10.jpg

Hopefully my next build will go as easy as this one was but I will be keeping it a little bit longer unless I get an offer I can't resist on it. Every man has his price lol.

Oh yah, this is the D16a6 in my DD Crx as of now, Once it's out I will tuck all the hoses, lines and wires...

rex.jpg

Well, I am not expecting a miracle with this one but I want Forced Induction. Boosting is something I am new to and can't wait to start.

I am not wanting to spend everything I've got on this one so I have decided to do a Vitara Build and most likely use Eagle Rods but I have heard good things about FJT Custom length Rods. I will definitely be using a intercooler, bisimoto cam most likely. I am probably not going to sleeve it. Thinking of a t3/t4 turbo unless I can find something better for the price. I will be spending around 3500 to get started. I am going to tune it for N/A with the low compression and Dyno test, then try the turbo setup and Dyno test again. Think 250-300hp will be hard to obtain with all of the recourses available of people who have done Vitara's before? Apparently after 600hp the vitara's disintegrate... I have seen Sohc builds up to 700hp so I am not too worried about 250. If I can take it to the track next summer and run 14's I will be happy with it, but we all know that it's never enough but I will be building this over a long period of time, Probably Rebuilding some too.

id just g with the eagle rods..your best bet would be to buy an ebay turbo kit..then upgrade the mani and the compressor..

Ebay it is, If I have enough left over then I will net an extra set of Mickey Thomson's hopefully. I am dreaming and drooling over most of the parts I would like to have on this budget build but hopefully all goes well.
My shifting sucks ass, my best run with the a6 was a 16.24 and I miss 3rd sometimes. Still getting used to the short gears unlike my Rx-7 and 240sx before this project car. I think it's because I am not double clutchin' like I should. lol I am looking for a good place to order a Intake Mani, any ideas besides Golden Eagle? I will probably use DSM Injectors untill I can get some RC's. Anyways, thanks for your help guys.

go on ebay and get a skunk2...if not blox are good brands...and look into a thicker intake mani gasket..hondata would be your best bet because the material its made from..

I have seen the Ad in a few magazines for the Hondata Gaskets and was curious so I may try one. I am needing help in the head department, I can't decide which would be the best to swap using my obd0 harness and the y8 block. z6, a6 or y8? I am guessing the a6 would not be best for turbo applications. I may take it to get a mild port & polish, maybe a valve job at a shop a few miles away. Springs, Retainers, Valves, etc... It will be easy to find a head of my choosing at a salvage near by considering everyone here shells out all their cash on farm trucks and tractors. Thanks in advance...

if your staying obdo then get the y8 head..the obd0 dizzy will bolt up with no modifications...but the obd0 dizzy lines up poorly on the z6 head..and plus 1 for the port and polish..i port and polished my head at my own house

i did a y5 bottom with a d17a6 crank and rods, with y8 pistons and a d16y7 head at 12lbs of boost = smashing

That's a crazy combo DC. Ok, I will try and find a y8 head and I may attempt to port & polish myself but I am a little skeptical on my work. So, here is the parts list as of now:

D16y8 Block
D16a6 Crank
Vitara 8.5:1 75mm pistons
Eagle H-Beam Rods, Arp Bolts
Arp Head Studs
D16y8 Head and Intake Mani, Skunk 2
450cc DSM Injectors
OBD0 Dizzy from the a6
Stock Harness OBD0 with Chipped Ecu

I will add the turbo kit to the list once I find one I think will fit the setup best. I will grab a universal intercooler and oil catch too.

I have heard the a6 oil pan is easier to tap into for the Turbo oil line but I may just use the y8 oil pan since it's already off. I polished up the bottom of the block where the crank sits last night and I will have more pictures up soon. Any other suggestions on this build? I am having fun with the parts list right now.

After I have a complete build I will post up all the spare parts for sale if anyone may need them. I have y8 Rods, Pistons, Crank right now but will be posting up more.

yea you will need to read the bearings on the bottom of the block and get the correct OEM bearings

OEM Recommended I am guessing? The Rod Bearings & Mains may come with the rods but I can auto zone some oem's. Still looking for a obd0 with a y8 thread somewhere.

Last edited:
right but..youd be better of atleast getting an obd0 b16 ecu..then chip it for your specs..

The B16 OBD0's are equipped with vtec, I will see if I can find one so it will be a little bit easier. I have been considering a p28 obd1 conversion but dunno if I want to deal with it yet. I know it would pay off in the long run. I have been trying to scrub the block clean every night to no avail, the oil was baked on the inside of this thing. I can tell I am making some progress though. Using B-12 Chemtool, it smells like paint thinner in a spray can.

aircraft stripper might work better..also for bearings go to the dealership..dont get autozone bearings..also the obd1 conversion would be better

Where can I find some aircraft stripper? Dealership it is and I may convert to obd1 as soon as it's up and running. Thanks Injen, tons of helpful info as always.

Back