Rex's D16y8 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Will it make everything this clean?
d16z6_parts_1b.jpg

I know it's a bit ludicrous but that is what I want, This is an image of a D16z6.

lol no,,that stuff has a mild polish done to it..
but it will make it pretty clean i think...you can also try purple power and a pressure washer..
i know on my DA,i scraped every spec of grease of the block,id scrape,pressurewash,scrape,pressurewash..this was over like a course of a week..shit was clean

Haha, Damn. Well, I have until next summer when Import Face Off and Street Warriorz comes to Tulsa,Ok but I am hoping to drop it in before that so I can Test & Tune. I am thinking about a Block Guard or Sleeves but I ran into someone saying I should use the devcon and Epsom salt approach?

devcon_epsomsalt.jpg

Devcon filled D16 block. Block is filled past the water pump port with sugar, then filled with devcon f-2 liquid aluminum. Salt is washed out and holes are drilled in the devcon to allow water to pass down.
The supposed benefits over a block guard are that it supports both the top and middle of the cylinders rather than just the top. A member on HomeMade Turbo said that his machinist did a bore job on a devcon filled block and said that it eliminated any cylinder walk when he bored. Any Ideas? I would like to buy the Darton Wet Sleeves but the 500$ is going to hurt.

Last edited:
Okay, fuck that. Everyone B knows of who went the Devcon route blew up. Damnit, why do all the good parts have to cost more? Sarcastic question and hey what the fuck is he doing up at 4AM?

yea fuck that..dont even do a block guard..if your that worried then sleeve it

Okay, adding sleeves to the shopping list but idk where I can have them installed without having to send the block off somewhere else. They have to be pressed in correct? Buying the sleeves may delay the turbo setup but I can run n/a until I can get a hold of an ebay kit. I want to build the bottom end right the first time and I will probably be one of the idiots who try to push the limits of a sohc but I guess that's what it's all about to anyways. With the help of HS I may be able to abstain from detonation.

machine shop will do the sleeves,and to prevent detonation run high octane and a good tune..and dont try to push it real hard..stick around rev limit and you should be good

Haha, I am the one setting the rev limits. My dad works at a Machine shop that deals with V8's and Racing Engines so I may be able to talk him into it. I only run 91 and that's all I can find around here.

yes..take the pistons,rods,crank out,drain all the fluid out of it..and wipe all the oil off the walls..let it sit outside for awhile..the only thing is you gotta make sure that water doesnt get inside anywhere that it could plug up and freeze..because when water freezes it expands and when it expands itll crack the block...like if a little bit gets on the walls its fine..just make sure it doesnt fill the whole cylinder..your best bet would be to put it in the ocean(i know it sounds sooo retarded) but the ocean doesnt freeze.

the engine has already been through the heat cycles involved in seasoning..so now you let it sit and the temp changes will "cure" or "settle" the metal...i swear on anything this is an actual block building process..i can probably dig up some articles..and if you dont believe me call L&L auto machine in groton CT...or Larrys in CT...

Thanks for the link adding more crazy shit I am going to try in this epic thread. What if I wrapped it in plastic and let it set outside under the porch? I am almost finished with cleaning the block, just picked some pb blaster up from wal-mart.

no need for the plastic..as long as water doesnt fill the water jackets,oil ports,and cylinders then its all good..like if it gets wet its ok..just dont let the water fill and freeze..

Aight, I will finish cleaning it up and set it out until it's time to assemble. Friend just ripped apart his old d15 and we plan on doing the same since his has been sitting around outside for about 6 months now.

Well me & my homie spent an hour trying to pull one of the Pistons & Rod out of his d15 and he finally got the idea to hone the cylinder out and try again. It worked and we hauled all our shit to the car wash since we don't have a pressure washer. It got most of the oil and grease off and his looks pretty clean but I still have a shit ton of black paint on mine in places. Here are the latest pics!

His D15B2:

DSC00043.jpg

After we took it apart:

DSC00044.jpg

Tools Used:

DSC00046.jpg

Block:

DSC00048.jpg

Side:

DSC00049.jpg

Car Wash!:

DSC00051.jpg

D15:

DSC00052.jpg

D16:

DSC00053.jpg

Toys:

DSC00054.jpg

In the Hatch:

DSC00056.jpg

Airing it all out:

DSC00057.jpg

that crank is probably gong to be junk now..and the oil pump/pickup..
lol all i said was to do the block

Back