1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RH5b turbo

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by SolPWR, Sep 15, 2003.

1. SolPWR

SolPWR Senior Member

anyone have this turbo and is it any good. its from a probe/MX6 I just want to know if this a good turbo for a 1.6 SOHC. Im still having trouble finding specs on it.

2. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

its an extremely good turbo. loco honkey had it on his old civic, which he traded. but i know the kid with it now. its runs SO well, you see full boost in very low rpms. you can stomp on it at any rpm above like 3500 and youll see instant boost. belive me, its worth the buy. i thikn he saw somewhere around 200 hp and 170+ish tq on 9 pounds of boost on a stock internal engine.

3. SolPWR

SolPWR Senior Member

nice!! what engine was it on in both cases? I gonna be runnig it at 7psi with stock internals my goal is 170whp and I have minor mods such as exhaust and looking at upgrading to a skunk intake manifold. Were those two running an intercooler, cause im gonna be getting a small side mount for my setup.

4. SolPWR

SolPWR Senior Member

ok on another forum im getting some mixed reviews. Some say this is a strong turbo that spools fast and will make a max HP of 300(which is way to much for me) on the other hand these guys say it is very small and really wont make much power at all.

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

you wont make 300 whp on that. no way.

it will max out at like 14 psi ish tops... and on a d-series, don't expect much more than 200-225 tops, but it will have very quick spool.. 2500 ish you should be at or near full boost i'd guess.

6. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

ill vouch, you see full boost at 24-2700 rpms...i forget the actualy number but its around there. ji had it on his z6. yes he was running an intercooler, a probe gt turbo one. i wonder if you just use a y8 manifold, you would see some gains, if you dont want to spend as much on the skunk.

7. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

Yes! It's a FABULOUS turbo for a D series! Sean is right about my old Civic... Positive pressure was seen at 1700 RPM, 5 PSI by 2300 RPM, and full boost (10 PSI) by 2700 RPM. If you punch it anywhere above 3300 RPM, you'll see INSTANT full boost, and it didn't die out up top; it pulled hard to 7500 RPM. It's not a power house- it's limit is 16- 18 PSI and about 250 HP, but it's without a doubt the most drivable, usable, autocrossable turbo I've ever driven in a D series Honda. If you can find one in good shape for under $200, jump on it. You will NOT be disappointed.

*edit- Don't get an RHB5 with the designation VJ14 or VFwhatever. The VJ14 and VF series have smaller hot side AR ratios and will run out of breath up top; they'd be good on a CX or HF or Geo Metro engine, but not on a 16 valve D series. The VJ11 (MX6/ Probe GT) or the Thunderbird Turbocoupe RHB5s are the turbos to have, with the Turbocoupe being the most desirable of all. The Turbocoupe turbo has a T3 flange and a bigger compressor wheel and housing than the other RHB5 series turbos. I'd actualy suggest looking for a Turbocoupe turbo (I had this turbo) because of the higher flowing compressor side and the T3 flange; if you want to go with a bigger turbo down the road, you won't have to buy a new manifold or make a new adapter plate.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted