RIAA sues XM!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ha ha, I remember when the RIAA was all up in arms trying to sue RIO when they came out with the first personal mp3 player. Fuck 'em

XM has had many issues with different things. from this to not having their radios (some) FCC aproved.

Sirius has worked out a deal with record companies to let them use the songs on their S50 (records music) however XM did not. and now they're bitching about it becuase the RIAA is after them. wah wah wah XM needs to shut the F up. and start doing things right from the start.

so what then jeffie? Ban cassette players too because they allow people to record songs from the radio and listen to them later?

How about VCR's?

Fuck that, it says right in that article that the songs you save from XM can't be copied and are only yours while you subscribe to XM.

Quoted post[/post]]
so what then jeffie? Ban cassette players too because they allow people to record songs from the radio and listen to them later?

How about VCR's?

Fuck that, it says right in that article that the songs you save from XM can't be copied and are only yours while you subscribe to XM.

We can't use CDRs to copy music with out the ok from whoever owns the music. XM is running into issues because they didnt ask the owners of the music. Sirius on the other hand does the same thing that XM is doing. however they worked out a deal with the owners of the music rather then just stating you can't use it out side of your membership with sirius....

theres a difference.

p.s you CANNOT record something with a cassette or VCR unless you own it. even then you still can't do anything to it other then use it as a backup.

the RIAA is completely and utterly out of their fucking mind. Which is perfect representation for the criminally insane "artists" that whore their fluff out to them.

I would pay $12 a month for XM without any of it's top40 horseshit "music". And while I'm on a rant, I'll give you a hint. If you have EVER had 'Extra' do a piece on you, you're a donkey raping shit eating celebrity piece of haitian gutter trash. In other words,

Eat the rich.

Quoted post[/post]]

How about VCR's?

The reason why cassettes players are rarely in debate is because they are analog thus the copies are of lower quality. The Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 was brought forth (by the RIAA) because Sony released Digital Audio Tapes which gave the ablitily for anyone to make perfect copies. This is why MP3 players and CDR's are always in debate is because they are digital.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

How about VCR's?

The reason why cassettes players are rarely in debate is because they are analog thus the copies are of lower quality. The Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 was brought forth (by the RIAA) because Sony released Digital Audio Tapes which gave the ablitily for anyone to make perfect copies. This is why MP3 players and CDR's are always in debate is because they are digital.
i remember seeing those Digital audio tapes back in the day. i saw a few ads for them, but never in real life. shit, the minidisc made it farther than those tapes did.

the riaa is pissed because people are finding a way around their industry. the riaa has NEVER been about making music. they are about making money, by separating an artist from their fans, and forcing the fans and the artists to go through the riaa's corporations, and taking as much money from both sides in the process. they are doing nothing more than making $$ off the talent and hard work of others- like most other industries. with mp3's, downloading, etc. people have figured out how to get what they want without paying the middle man for it. most artists arent being hurt by this, in fact, concert attendance and sales of band paraphanalia are up, and every independent study ive ever read states that people who download music pay more money and support the artists more than ones that dont. i know that i personally, along with everyone i know, would not have heard of half of the music i listen to had i not downloaded it, and i wouldnt have gone to any of the shows ive seen, nor bought any of the t-shirts and other stuff that i have. that stuff is where the artists make money. album sales are a small portion of the artists income, and i'd put very good money that most would gladly trade lower record sales for higher concert attendance and more people hearing their music.

artists need to face the facts.
their songs are going to be infringed apon no matter what riaa does.
does RIAA think it can go after 100 million(prollly more) people who all download music?
even if you go after a million of them you will still have 99 million downloading music.

idiots
:ph34r: I dont download music. I purchase all of mine legally in stores. :ph34r:

Quoted post[/post]]
artists need to face the facts.
their songs are going to be infringed apon no matter what riaa does.
does RIAA think it can go after 100 million(prollly more) people who all download music?
even if you go after a million of them you will still have 99 million downloading music.

idiots
:ph34r: I dont download music. I purchase all of mine legally in stores. :ph34r:

I still think the point is XM is offering something and getting money for it while not paying jack shit to the companies who put out the content in the first place.

i watched a senate hearing on this subject the other day.
xm is THE highest payer of royalties of any "radio" type company wether its satellite, internet, or land based.
riaa is pissed because xm's new player allows you to not only record songs, but to delete, rearrange and create playlists.
the law states users can copy from the radio 1 personal copy. and they are allowed to copy large chunks of radio programming.

xm argues that its player just allows people to do it more conveniently since the same thing can be done with a casette or r2r player.

riaa argues that its basically letting people get music for free. riaa agress that xm is highest payer of royalties, but then they said that just shows how shitty the royalty system is.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

How about VCR's?

We can't use CDRs to copy music with out the ok from whoever owns the music.

huh?

I burn CD's from pirated stuff all the time.

even with 5 other city offices and co-lo's, there's still plenty of tapes hanging around my office.

Back