Rich's Street/Rat F100 Build Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Did some work with the new rear shocks on Saturday morning:

Cut off the old threaded stud, leaving some material to run a die over

051110.jpg

051111.jpg

This one is upside down for some reason:

051112.jpg

Threads cut and new heim threaded on:

051113.jpg

Used some small diameter tubing, drilled out the center on the lathe, and made stand-offs so the heim can articulate:

051114.jpg

And doing the same with a slightly larger tubing, created sleeves for the inside of the tabs, as these shocks are being used a bit outside of their intended application:

051115.jpg

All done:

051116.jpg

I'll have the bag and shock mounts done by early next week, then, I need to work on adapting a Camaro rear stabilizer, and then, maybe then, the rear suspension will be done....

Excited to see where these guys are going, and what you're going to do with the.... Dampners? idfk what they're called.

Excited to see where these guys are going, and what you're going to do with the.... Dampners? idfk what they're called.

Damper...a wet paper towel is a dampener. Shock/strut = damper because it damps the oscillations of the suspension. A moving object can be under-damped, over-damped, or critically damped. If it is critically damped it will remain in oscillation forever or until it destroys itself, like the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

i believe he said they're going up front

Rear

Last edited:
Interested regardless. Fuck throw some damp towels in there while you're at it.

Oh ya. That is true. They are application specific and were built as front shocks. Fortunately the gas charge pressure is adjustable so I can use that to lighten them up a bit.

Oh ya. That is true. They are application specific and were built as front shocks. Fortunately the gas charge pressure is adjustable so I can use that to lighten them up a bit.

I was going to say you could add or take out nitrogen as needed to suit your application. Grab yourself a little tank and a high pressure regulator .I believe that 300psi will support 2000lbs, at least those numbers hold true for my boss's sandcar with King shocks.

I was going to say you could add or take out nitrogen as needed to suit your application. Grab yourself a little tank and a high pressure regulator .I believe that 300psi will support 2000lbs, at least those numbers hold true for my boss's sandcar with King shocks.

I love Kings...I have a buddy at a tire shop who gives us free nitrogen fills for remote adjustable shocks. I think he said he runs 200 in his sway-a-ways on his prerunner ranger. I was thinking about 100. They have pretty stiff valving.

So I take it, for the piece the bag is mounted to the tube is some stock material? How did you make the base, where the bolts are? Laser cut, waterjet?

So I take it, for the piece the bag is mounted to the tube is some stock material? How did you make the base, where the bolts are? Laser cut, waterjet?

I buy the plates laser cut and use 5.5" pipe for the cups, welded and ground smooth.

So

I scored the deal of all deals today.

I am trading a C6 automatic trans (that I got for free), a torque converter (that I got for free) and building an exhaust ($60 worth of pipe) with mufflers he is supplying, for this guy's '59 F100 in trade for:

images

Bam...rebuilt Borg-Warner World Class T5 with the correct bell-housing and an aftermarket clutch pedal assembly.

This is a sick ****in transmission.

[quote}In 1985, Ford introduced the World Class T-5 installed with 3.35 first gear set. No longer were 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears spinning on a solid output shaft. Needle bearings were installed under each gear to reduce drag. The lower counter gears saw tapered bearings. All main shaft synchros were fiber lined steel rings to improve ring surface area while 5th remains bronze. By improving the surface area, the synchro slows the gear faster making for smoother shifts.[/quote]

This is the original trans from the first Cobras and GTs. Dude said he paid $1300 for it, which I don't doubt. I win...

I'm pretty much taking the summer off to rest and get focused for fall but here are some things I've done semi-recently...

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

And there it sits...I still have to mount the remote reservoirs, build sway bar end links, build two more crossmembers and mount the fuel keg...Until fall, I quit lol...

Are those upper shock mounts going to be strong enough to support the load they'll incur? I'm no engineer, so Im not questioning it, just wondering.

Looks like the curvature will help with support a lot. But I agree, they do look slightly flimsy.

You guys are so perceptive. No they aren't. And I'm working on a solution to that...build a little test a little...

Back